This is the best Steamed Broccoli you will ever make! This healthy side dish is easy to make on the stove, in a microwave or the Instant Pot.
I serve this vegetable with my Asian dishes, like the Quick Teriyaki Chicken or 10-Minute Teriyaki Shrimp.
Broccoli is such a versatile vegetable. You can roast it, turn it into a salad or a cheesy side dish. As much as I love roasted broccoli, steaming it is my second favorite method of preparing this vegetable. It’s quick and easy and makes for a very healthy side dish. You can steam it on the stove, in a microwave (perfect for students that live in a dorm) or in the pressure cooker. I top mine with toasted breadcrumbs but salt and pepper can be enough too. It depends on what will you be serving the broccoli with.
How to Steam Broccoli?
- Start by cutting the broccoli in florets.
- Place all in a steamer basket.
- Add about 1″ of water to a pot and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
- Once the water is boiling, place the steamer basket with broccoli inside, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes. Setting a timer is helpful.
- Once done, remove the basket from the pot.
- Serve right away.
This depends on the cooking vessel you will use to make it.
- If you are using a pot and steamer, the cooking time is 5 minutes.
- If you are using a microwave, steam for 3 minutes.
- If using a pressure cooker, set timer to 1 minute on HIGH pressure.
Can I do it without a steamer basket?
If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can easily steam the broccoli in a microwave. You will only need a microwave-safe bowl. You can also use a microwave-safe lid or plate, but I don’t find the need for it since you are already cooking it in a closed environment.
How to steam broccoli in the microwave?
This is by far the fastest method to make this recipe. Simply place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl and add 1/4 cup of water. Microwave for 3 minutes. The broccoli will be vibrant and perfect. If you want it softer, microwave for one more minute. Some recipes call for covering the bowl with a plate, but I don’t find a need for that.
How to steam broccoli in the Instant Pot?
To make this recipe in your pressure cooker, add 1/2 cup of water to the stainless steel insert. Place broccoli in a steamer basket inside and place the lid on. Make sure the IP is set to cook on HIGH pressure. Press “manual” setting and set timer to 1 minute. Once done, switch the pressure valve to venting to release pressure. Remove broccoli from the Instant Pot and serve.
- cut the broccoli into same-size florets (as much as possible of course)
- boil the water first, then place broccoli in the pot
- check the doneness of the vegetable after the initial cooking time. If you want it softer, cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Sometimes, I just leave it covered and place it on a wooden cutting board while I get everything else ready for dinner.
This is my secret to a delicious serving of steamed broccoli. I toast panko breadcrumbs in butter in a skillet. It’s a delicious, crunchy topping that just fits the steamed veggie perfectly! To make it, melt about a tablespoon of unsalted butter in a skillet. Add panko breacrumbs (and Italian seasoning if desired) and toast until golden brown. Sprinkle over broccoli just before serving.
More side dish recipes:
- Sauteed Spinach
- Fried Cabbage
- Braised Red Cabbage
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Instant Pot Green Beans
For more recipes, feel free to browse our Side Dish Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀