Beef stew meat made in the Instant Pot with savory and tender mushroom gravy is perfect for whenever you’re craving comfort and simplicity. One of the best Instant Pot beef recipes out there, this family-friendly recipe is always a crowd-pleaser!
Instant Pot stew meat is simmered in a mouthwatering mushroom gravy with robust garlic, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaf to create the ultimate dinner recipe that you will want to make over and over again-especially during the cooler months.
Reading: Instant pot beef and mushroom stew
Simple enough for family night dinners whenever you are wanting something hearty and full of protein, these Instant Pot steak tips come together within minutes and will become a staple in your household!
If you loved my Beef Tips and Rice recipe, then you will think you died and went to heaven when you taste this Instant Pot Beef and Mushroom Gravy!
There is just something so satisfying about savory beef broth and mushrooms simmered with herbs. It will be hard to say no to seconds of this recipe.
Serve these steak tips and other Fall recipes for Sunday night dinners or just whenever you want to make classic comfort food that screams, “Yummy!”
The gravy is perfectly thickened and is filled with just the right amount of mushrooms that pair perfectly with the juicy beef.
Do I need to say more?
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Why This Recipe Works
- Ingredient Notes
- How to Make Instant Pot Beef And Mushroom Gravy
- Recipe Variations
- Recipe Tips
- Does Meat Get More Tender the Longer You Pressure Cook It?
- Why is my Beef Tough in the Instant Pot?
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- ⭐ Reviews
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Quick: This pressure cooker beef and mushroom gravy cooks together in minutes and are a great match for fast but satisfying!
Savory: The flavors of garlic, beef broth, and butter create a smooth gravy that allows these steak tips to be full of bold and tender flavors.
Family-Friendly: Dress this recipe up with egg noodles, rice, or your style of potatoes for a family-style recipe that brings dinner to a whole new level.
Great for the Holidays: I love to make this recipe for special occasions such as birthdays, holidays, lunches, and much more. It’s always a crowd-pleaser!
Why This Recipe Works
Tender. This recipe is tender and cooks the meat just right so it is not overcooked and easy to bite into.
One-Pot Meal. Made in one pan, this Instant Pot recipe doesn’t use a lot of dishes and keeps things minimal so you can enjoy a relaxed recipe. A win in my book!
Versatile. Use your choice of any kind of sirloin cut beef for this recipe. This recipe is versatile!
Like leftovers? This recipe is great for leftovers because the flavors mend together well and become even more tasty and savory.
Freeze It! This recipe can be frozen for whenever you don’t want to do a lot of cooking!
The affiliate links below will allow you to see the product on Amazon.com. If you choose to purchase one of the items, I will receive a very small commission on the product and does not increase the price.
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker – This popular Duo 7-in-1 Instant Pot is an extremely highly rated Instant Pot model and is the same model that I own.
- Small Bowl – This set of small bowls is practical for everyday use and for recipe preparation as well as for serving bowls.
- Gravy Boat – This simple white porcelain gravy boat is a highly rated popular option.
- Ladle – This stainless steel ladle is a popular brand with thousands of ratings.
- Serving Platter – This highly rated set of large, white serving platters are perfect for both casual and fancy dinners yet very reasonably priced.
Below I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions in case you don’t have a specific ingredient on hand. However, if you are looking for the specific measurements of each ingredient, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
- Butter-I like to use salted butter because it adds extra flavor and moisture to the recipe.
- Meat- Use either thinly sliced or cubed stew meat or chuck roast for this recipe. You will want the meat to be thick but tender.
- Onions- Either yellow or white onions will work for this recipe. I usually keep both on hand.
- Garlic- Use freshly minced garlic or the pre-minced stuff. Both options work!
- Mushrooms-I used a combination of baby Bella and white mushrooms for a variety of textures and flavors. These types of mushrooms are subtle and easily absorb the flavors around them.
- Salt and Pepper-Use less or more than what I used in the recipe card.
- Thyme-Fresh or ground thyme is great for this recipe. You can never go wrong with thyme!
- Bay Leaf-Bay leaf gives this recipe even more aromatic qualities and flavors.
- Worcestershire Sauce-I like to use Worcestershire sauce because it gives recipes depth and a richness that is so satisfying. You can find this ingredient in the sauce aisles at the most well-stocked grocery stores.
- Pepperoncini Peppers-These are optional, but give the recipe extra boldness. For more heat, use a spicier pepper rather than a mild type.
- Beef Broth-I like to use beef broth because it is rich and soothing, but you can use water and beef bouillon cubes instead if you’d like..
- Water-This is used to make the cornstarch “slurry”.
- Cornstarch-Cornstarch is mixed with water to create a “slurry” to thicken the gravy.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef And Mushroom Gravy
- First, turn the Instant Pot on “Sauté” mode and melt the butter until fully melted. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about a 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the meat and brown on all sides. Remove the beef from the Instant Pot and keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, pepperoncini peppers, and the beef broth. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set it to the sealed position. Turn the IP on “High” for 30 minutes. It will take a little while to warm up.
- When the timer has gone off, do a “Quick Release”, then turn the Instant Pot back to “Sauté”.
- Make the cornstarch slurry by mixing the cornstarch and water in a bowl. Whisk the mixture into the meat. Whisk the sauce until it begins to thicken.
Turn off the Instant Pot and serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.
- Mushrooms. Use any kind of variety of mushrooms you would like but keep in mind different mushrooms have different flavors.
- Vegetables. Add sliced carrots or peas to this recipe for extra veggies.
- Butter. Use margarine or olive oil instead of butter.
- Protein. Make this recipe with chicken thighs rather than meat.
- Brown the meat to seal in the juice and keep it moist.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Freeze this recipe in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. When ready to serve, thaw the beef and warm either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Be sure to thinly slice or cube the meat.
Does Meat Get More Tender the Longer You Pressure Cook It?
Yes, the meat will continue to cook and will get more tender the longer it cooks to be sure to release the pressure and turn it off once the timer goes off!
Why is my Beef Tough in the Instant Pot?
Sometimes, if the beef is undercooked it will be tough. For best results, be sure to cook the meat long enough, but not too long.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | BlogLovin | Instagram
Read more: Italian style beef stew
For more information please see the list of Instant pot beef and mushroom stew