A few weeks ago, I found myself in immediate need of comfort food. It had been a long, stressful day—the kind that makes you want to throw up a white flag, crawl into bed with a glass of wine, and wait for someone to revive you with noodles. This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff was the perfect remedy.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is the ideal recipe for when you are any mix of:
- Needing a hug
- Wanting to feed your family a healthy meal they’ll actually like (nothing is worse than a dinner complainer when you are already exhausted), or
- So hungry you are halfway through a bag of chips before your brain registers that you even opened the pantry.
This recipe is easy to prepare and leaves you only one dish (the Instant Pot) to wash at the end.
(Looking for other one-pot winners? Check out this 15 Healthy Instant Pot Recipes post for more inspiration!)
It’s also fast.
Read more: Recipe Marker
As much as I love my original recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff, I don’t always have time to wait for it to cook.
The Instant Pot gives me the same cozy flavor and tender beef in a fraction of the time.
Beef stroganoff is also ultra family-friendly.
My Grandma Dorothy used to make it in big batches for us after church, and I have fond memories of gobbling it up with my cousins (and their moms and dads too!).
In the “I need a hug” department, beef stroganoff is the meal equivalent of wearing a pair of fuzzy slippers while cuddling a golden retriever puppy, listening to your favorite band, and eating peanut butter straight out of the jar. Pure comfort.
Read more: Top 5 how to thicken slow cooker beef stew
Finally, since I firmly believe that comfort food shouldn’t just be an occasional indulgence, this recipe is lightened up with a few simple, healthy swaps.
About this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Spoiler: if you are looking for an Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff cream of mushroom soup recipe, this is not it.
Beef stroganoff is easy to make from scratch, so set the can down. You don’t need it.
Making Stroganoff Creamy
- Instead of using canned soup (or even sour cream or cream cheese), I stirred plain Greek yogurt into the Instant Pot with the beef stroganoff at the end.
- It gives the stroganoff lots of comforting richness without a lot of fat and provides extra protein too.
- It is also less fussy than a corn starch slurry.
The Best Beef for Beef Stroganoff
- For the beef, I used sirloin, which is lean and turns out incredibly tender when cooked in the Instant Pot. Chuck roast would also work well.
- I do not recommend stew meat, as the pieces are all cut into different sizes and will cook in different amounts of time.
- You are best off buying a single piece of sirloin or chuck roast and cubing it yourself.
Tips to Store and Reheat
- To Store. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Reheat gently in the microwave or on the stovetop with a splash of water, milk, or broth to keep them from drying out.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff: me, hugging you though the screen, in dinner cozy, creamy dinner form.
It might even be better than an actual hug, because pasta is involved! (For a similarly comforting favorite, check out this Hamburger Helper.)
Read more: Slow cooker chicken stew recipes
Recommended Tools to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot (or similar electric pressure cooker)
- Non-slip cutting board
Please see more list about Instant pot beef stroganoff with stew meat