Delicious and hearty, this Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup is made with leftover ham and russet potatoes. In less than 30 minutes, you can enjoy a perfect meal for cold weather!
A Flavorful and Easy Soup
This easy and comforting soup is packed with flavor! I’ve made it several times this winter and my family loves it. The competition is tough because both this soup and my Instant Pot Ham and White Bean Soup taste amazing! For this recipe, I used leftover ham from a bone-in ham. You can also use a ham bone, a meaty ham shank, or a ham hock with some extra meat.
If you’re making a big bone-in ham for Christmas, don’t throw away the leftover ham bone once all the meat has been cut off. You can add it to this ham and potato soup to instantly enhance the flavor!
If you’re looking for more comforting Instant Pot recipes, make sure to try my Instant Pot Beef Stew and Instant Pot Pot Roast.
Ingredients for Ham and Potato Soup
- Ham: You can use leftover ham or store-bought cubed ham.
- Vegetables: Carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and potatoes. I prefer using Russet potatoes for the creamiest soup.
- Stock/Broth: I prefer using chicken stock, but you can also use vegetable stock.
- Heavy cream
- Seasonings and fresh herbs: Salt, black pepper, and fresh thyme.
How to Make Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup
- Press the “Saute” button on the Instant Pot and add the butter, carrot, onion, garlic, and celery to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. (This step is optional. You can dump everything in at once if you prefer.)
- Add the ham, potatoes, vegetable stock, and heavy cream to the Instant Pot. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Close the lid, lock it, and move the valve to “Sealing.” Cook on Manual for 10 minutes.
- When the soup is done and you hear the beep sound, press the Cancel/Keep Warm button. Turn the valve to “Venting” for quick release until all the pressure is released.
- Open the lid and serve the soup warm.
Soups are a big part of the Winter and Fall season for us because they are easy, comforting, and so delicious. They instantly warm you up and are pretty much “set it and forget it,” especially when using an Instant Pot. This ham and potato soup recipe is great because you can simply dump all the ingredients and set the Manual setting for 10 minutes. After the soup comes to pressure (in about 10-15 minutes), it takes only 10 minutes to cook. You’ll have a delicious meal you can serve for dinner and even for lunch the next day.
The best part of this leftover ham bone soup with potatoes is that it’s perfect for weeknight dinners when you don’t have much time to prepare. This Instant Pot soup doesn’t require much prep or cook time, yet it tastes as if it has been simmering on the stove for hours. The use of Russet potatoes makes it naturally creamy, as they break up a little bit while cooking.
Can You Make it Ahead of Time?
This Instant Pot potato soup is perfect for weekly meal prep. I love making a big batch of soup on the weekend and enjoying it throughout the week for easy meals.
Once you’ve made the soup, let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. It will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can reheat the soup on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat it in the microwave on full power for 3 minutes, stirring halfway.
Can You Freeze it?
It’s best not to freeze this soup as the texture can change quite a bit. The potatoes may absorb too much moisture, resulting in a grainy consistency.
Frozen ham and potato soup will still be safe to eat once defrosted and reheated, but it will lose its creamy consistency.
Hope you make and enjoy this ham potato soup in the Instant Pot!
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup