This Instant Pot Italian Beef is so flavorful you’ll have a hard time believing it was cooked in under an hour. Thanks to the pressure cooker, you get that slow-cooked, beefy flavor of a roast that has simmered all day long in a fraction of the time.
This versatile beef can be served up soooo many different ways. Of course, it’s delicious as a main course, but you can also turn it into tasty tacos, or pile it on as a hearty topping for loaded baked potatoes. But my very favorite way to enjoy it is to make mouth-watering classic Italian Beef Sandwiches. #sandwichesforthewin
What is Italian Beef?
Originating in Chicago in the 1930s, an Italian Beef Sandwich is made with thinly sliced or shredded seasoned beef piled onto a long Italian-style roll and served with au jus sauce.
Why You’ll ♡ This
- Quick Cooking – This beef will be fork tender in just 30 minutes at high pressure.
- Versatile – Eat it with a side dish or use this pressure cooker Italian beef in various other recipes.
- Easy Pantry Meal – Aside from the chuck roast, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry.
- Feeds a crowd – This recipe yields quite a bit of meat, but you can double it to feed more people.
- list here
Ready to learn how to make pressure cooker Italian beef? Then gather up those ingredients and I will show you….
How To Make Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
Read more: Air Fryer Roasted Vegetables
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Add olive oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot insert.
- Set to sauté mode, place the beef inside, and brown all sides.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for the bread) and stir.
- Close the lid and valve and set to manual pressure/high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Once cook time is complete, perform a quick pressure release, then shred the beef using two forks.
- Pile beef onto sandwich rolls and serve.
- Use a paper towel to pat the beef dry before you sauté it. This will help create a deep delicious flavor.
- Add less of the pepperoncini juice for a milder flavor.
- The cooking time listed does not include time for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure or for the pressure to release.
Italian Beef Variations
These Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches are seriously delicious but it’s always fun to mix it up a bit. Try some of these variations;
- Spice it up – The pepperoncini add a lovely spicy and tangy flavor that’s not overwhelming. If you like things really spicy, try adding more juice and several whole pepperoncini peppers. You could also add some red pepper flakes for even more heat.
- Make it cheesy – melt a slice of provolone over the top of your sandwiches.
- Add Giardiniera – This classic mix of spicy pickled veggies is popular in Chicago. Use it as a condiment on top of your Italian Beef sandwiches.
Meal Prep and Prep Ahead
This Pressure Cooker Italian Beef recipe is perfect for prepping ahead.
Prep Ahead – This Instant Pot Italian Beef recipe is so quick and easy to make, but you can easily make it and serve it for the next few days or pop it in the freezer for later.
Store – Place the meat into an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to three days, reheating in the microwave. I recommend that you store the au jus separately as the meat will reabsorb a lot of the juice while it sits in the fridge.
Read more: Color Changes in Cooked Beef
Freeze – Follow the handy tips below for how to freeze these;
- Place the shredded beef into freezer bags.
- Lable and date and lay flat to freeze.
- Defrost the beef overnight in the fridge, reheating in the microwave.
What Cut of Beef Should I Use?
Chuck roast is my favorite cut of meat for this recipe, as it always yields a fork-tender finished product. However, you can substitute any beef roast. If your meat doesn’t fall apart, you can slice it into thin slices with a meat slicer or electric knife.
What Type of Bread Should I Use?
A hearty, crusty sandwich roll is perfect for these sandwiches. The Italian beef is also delicious piled atop slices of thick buttered toast or toasted garlic bread.
Should I Throw Away the Meat Juices Left in the Instant Pot?
Absolutely not!!! The juices left behind after cooking are packed with flavor and what you’ll use to serve Italian Beef sandwiches au jus. Just ladle a bit of the juice into a small bowl to go alongside each of the beef sandwiches. Sooooo good!
- Air Fryer Tater Tots.
- Instant Pot Potato Salad.
- Easy Coleslaw Recipe.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas.
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast with Garlic Butter Gravy.
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli.
Thank you for reading my Italian Beef Instant Pot recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue to slice, dice, and dream up affordable Air Fryer recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Southern Recipes, and more. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, food blog.
Read more: Ina garten roast chicken with croutons
Get The Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe:
Please see more list about Instant pot italian beef with frozen roast