Oh, just take a look at it. I am completely smitten with this delectable Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup.
This recipe holds a special place in our Fall 2022 SOS Series, and it’s a favorite among fans. To view the entire series, click here.
I have to confess, I might have a slight obsession with Wild Rice Soup. If you browse through this blog, you’ll probably find at least three different variations of the recipe. But don’t worry, it’s not a problem. It’s just pure love.
Everything You Need For Wild Rice Soup
- VIDEO: Learn how to make this Wild Rice Soup.
- Different variations of this delicious soup.
- Pairing suggestions for the perfect combination.
- Frequently asked questions about Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup.
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Variations Of This Wild Rice Soup
Let me take you on a journey through my love affair with wild rice soup throughout my life.
My Mom’s Wild Rice Soup: I grew up and still live in Minnesota, where Wild Rice Soup was a staple in my childhood. Every Christmas Eve, my mom would prepare this soup, and the whole house would be filled with the aroma of bacon and wild rice. It’s a pure and traditional recipe, passed down from our church cookbook. I am forever grateful to Minnesota, my mom, and the soup that raised me.
Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup: As I grew older, I wanted to make wild rice soup more frequently. So, I developed an easier version of the classic recipe, perfect for the crockpot. This recipe quickly became a hit on Pinch of Yum and a personal favorite. It’s a go-to for quick dinners or hosting last-minute get-togethers with friends. And now, here’s another exciting variation.
Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup (with mushrooms, oh my gosh): Today, I introduce you to a new rendition of my beloved wild rice soup. In this version, I’ve replaced the chicken (though you can still include it if you prefer) with flavorful mushrooms, and I cooked it to perfection in the Instant Pot (affiliate link). I know you may be skeptical, but trust me, this soup will blow your mind. The mushrooms give it an incredible depth of flavor. Plus, the preparation and cooking process are incredibly easy. With my extensive experience devouring wild rice soup, I can assure you that this is how it’s meant to be made. This is the ultimate comfort food for those chilly winter days.
How To Make This Wild Rice Soup
Prepare to be pleasantly surprised! This recipe is a dump-and-cook situation, meaning it requires minimal effort on your part. It’s mostly hands-off, except for a brief step at the end to achieve that creamy goodness. Plus, it’s perfect for weeknight dinners and freezer-friendly. Let’s get started!
Here are your options:
- The Best Flavor Option (as written): Begin by sautéing onions and mushrooms. Add wild rice to create the base of the soup. Add the vegetables towards the end to maintain their texture. Finish off with a combination of heavy cream, broth, sherry, and umami seasoning. The result? An incredibly delicious bowl of soup.
- The Easiest Option: Simply add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot and pour in the heavy cream to achieve a creamy texture. That’s it!
- The No-Heavy-Cream Option: Follow the same steps mentioned above, but instead of heavy cream, use a flour-butter-milk mixture to create a creamy base. Although in recent times, I’ve found that the heavy cream option provides a richer and more developed flavor.
What To Serve With This Soup
Of course, you’ll want some extras to accompany your wild rice soup.
If you’re enjoying it on an average Sunday, I highly recommend pairing it with a loaf of crusty No Knead Bread. Trust me; it’s a match made in heaven.
If it’s Christmas, and you’re like my family who considers wild rice soup a staple for the occasion, you’ll want to complement it with a fancy salad. How about trying our beloved Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Salad from years past? It never fails to impress. Alternatively, you can opt for a Simple Green Salad, which has become our latest family favorite.
Adding Other Proteins / Making Swaps
Feel free to customize this recipe with additional proteins or swaps:
- Shredded or cubed chicken: If you’re interested, I have a recipe for that right here.
- Crumbled cooked bacon.
- Cubed ham.
- Throw in a whole ham bone for extra flavor.
About The Mushrooms
If you’re not particularly fond of mushrooms, but occasionally enjoy their taste, I encourage you to give them a try in this soup. Cut them into thin slices, so you get the flavor without being too bothered by the texture. I’m confident you’ll fall head over heels.
And for those of you already on team mushroom, I applaud you. Don’t waste any time; dive right into this recipe. It has quickly become my favorite version of wild rice soup, which is quite remarkable. The combination of warm, creamy soup with mushrooms and wild rice is an eternal winner ❤
Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup: Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that we have slightly updated the method for this recipe to enhance both the flavor and texture of the soup. For the previous version, click here.
Print out the freezer meal version of this recipe here.
For more freezer meal ideas, check out our comprehensive post.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes To Love
If you’re a fan of Instant Pot soups, I have a few more recommendations for you:
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup (like receiving a saucy, warm hug in a bowl).
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Tortilla Soup (the ultimate vegetarian tortilla soup).
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings (the epitome of comforting food).
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Walnut Chili (a delightful twist on vegetarian chili).
- Spicy Peanut Soup with Sweet Potato and Kale (check the recipe card for Instant Pot directions).
Time To Show You Off!
Don’t forget to tag @pinchofyum on Instagram for a chance to be featured.
One More Thing!
This recipe is part of our best Instant Pot recipes page. Be sure to check it out!