This easy to make, roasted sirloin tip roast is a wonderfully delicious and an economical cut of beef roast. Not only is sirloin tip roast tasty the first time you serve it, the roast is perfect for leftovers. You can even make this sirloin roast ahead of time and find out just how delicious it is when reheated.
This sirloin tip roast recipe is a great recipe for Sunday dinner, holiday dinners or any time you want an easy way to make a perfect roast with only a few minutes of prep time. and is destined to become one of your favorite beef roast recipes. If you enjoy this type of slow roasting, you will also enjoy this Rump Roast recipe.
- ⭐ Why This Recipe Is a Favorite
- 🥘 Ingredients
- 🔪 How To Cook a Sirloin Tip Roast
- 🍽 Equipment for Best Results
- 🥣Leftovers and Storing
- Serving Suggestions
- 📋 Recipe
⭐ Why This Recipe Is a Favorite
Great Value. Sirloin tip roast is a lean and inexpensive cut of beef that comes from the rump area. That muscle area is used for moving so the cut is also less tender. Because of this, it is more economical than other types of beef roast.
Easy Preparation. You don’t need many ingredients to flavor this sirloin tip roast. And while it takes a bit of time in the oven, that time is all hands off. Just let your oven and an instant-read thermometer do the work. Roasting is the best way to make sirloin tip but a slow cooker is also a nice alternative.
Great Leftovers. Thinly slice the sirloin tip roast and you have the perfect filling for sandwiches the next day. Add in your favorite condiments and maybe some cheese and onions, and you have a delicious sandwich for on-the-go lunch or a scrumptious sit-down roast beef au jus.
Less Fat. Sirloin tip roast is a leaner cut that has much fewer calories than other types of beef roasts. It is much less marbled than a chuck roast which is often used for pot roast, but you will find this cut just as delicious.
- Sirloin tip roast – this cut comes from the rump and hind leg area where the muscles are used for movement. As a result, this is a lean cut and less tender than other cuts of beef. But by following this recipe, you can get a less expensive cut of meat that cooks up deliciously. You may find beef sirloin tip roast also called round tip roast, ball tip roast or crescent roast. As your butcher if you are unsure.
- Yellow onions – this type of onion is your best choice for this roast as it holds up very well during roasting. Yellow onions have a stronger flavor that other varieties, yet they become deliciously sweet and flavorful when roasted. Placing them on the bottom of the pot under the beef roast causes them to caramelize deliciously and absorb the flavors from the roast.
- Homemade seasoning rub – this simple rub is perfect for this roast and only contains kosher salt, black pepper, dried rosemary and garlic powder.
- Gravy – the beef gravy uses beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder or onion flakes, and cornstarch.
🔪 How To Cook a Sirloin Tip Roast
- Place sliced onions on the bottom of your roasting pan to add flavor and to act as a rack for the roast. Do not separate the sliced onions into rings.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels before coating in the olive oil and seasonings. This step helps build a nice flavorful, browned exterior.
- Begin roasting on high heat to create a nice outside sear to the roast. Then reduce the heat to a much lower temperature and roast for at least an hour or until the internal temperature is ideal. The total time for cooking, including the resting time will be about 1 and ½ hours.
- Let your sirloin tip oven roast rest at room temperature.
- Cut the roast across the grain for the most tender results. Serve with gravy, if using.
🍽 Equipment for Best Results
Cookware: A dark roasting pan, cast iron pan, or a heavy Dutch oven all work well for roasting sirloin. No need for a roasting rack either! The thick sliced onion does double duty, not only adding flavor but acting as the roasting rack.
Thermometer: I use an instant-read digital meat thermometer and insert it into the thickest part to check the internal temperature anytime I cook meats, poultry or fish. I like to use an oven-safe food thermometer in recipes such as this tip roast recipe that have longer cooking times. Either of these tools will make sure you have a perfectly done roast and not one that is over or under cooked.
🥣Leftovers and Storing
- Fresh sirloin tip roast can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days and frozen for 4 to 12 months.
- Cooked beef roast can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days and frozen for up to 3 months.
- Beef gravy or broth can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days and frozen for up to 3 months.
- For ease in reheating, slice the roast and package into measured quantities and labeled with the quantity and date.
- For storing or freezing, cook the sirloin tip roast to medium rare. When reheated, the roast will turn out medium to medium-well.
Herb Packed Rub: For the seasoning rub omit the garlic powder and add 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves and 1-½ teaspoon ground mustard along with salt, pepper and rosemary.
Lemon Herb Rub: For the seasoning rub increase the garlic powder to 2 teaspoons and add 2 tablespoons dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dehydrated lemon peel.
- Serve with horseradish sauce for dipping.
- Perfectly Crispy and Tender Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Sweet and Crispy Roasted Carrots and Potatoes
- Easy Sautéed Green Beans with Brown Butter and Almonds
- Sautéed Broccoli with Garlic (only 5 Ingredients)
This recipe will improve the tenderness and taste of your finished roast, so let’s get started.
For more information, please see more information about Sirloin tip roast in oven recipe