Vegan Lentil Meatballs | 45-second video
What lentils to use?
I adore these little Black Caviar lentils because of their petite size, their dark color and rich earthy flavor. They are meaty little guys, who hold their shape after cooking, and take only 20 -25 minutes to cook. But feel free to use brown lentils or green lentils. Any whole lentils will work great here- just do not use split lentils.
Reading: lentil vegetarian main dish
Ingredients you’ll need
- Black lentils (uncooked) -Sub green or brown lentils, just not “split” lentils
- fennel seeds
- kosher salt
- granulated garlic
- firm tofu
- olive oil
Coconut Curry Fenugreek Sauce:
- fresh turmeric (or ground turmeric )
- olive oil
- fresh tomato
- dried fenugreek leaves
- coconut milk (not lite)
- lime juice
- salt, pepper seasonings
Read more: 10 Healthy Vegan Lentil Recipes
TIP: Dried fenugreek leaves truly elevate this dish! We use them often here on the blog- so they won’t go to waste!
How to make Lentil Meatballs
- Cooked Lentils and cooked quinoa are mixed with cilantro, garlic and spices.
- Tofu is whipped in a food processor into a thick paste, and acts as the binder here. fold this into the lentil quinoa mixture.
- With wet hands, roll into ping-pong-sized balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the lentil meatballs for 20 minutes. While they are in the oven make the coconut curry sauce.
Place lentil meatballs over the sauce and sprinkle with cilantro.
What to serve with Indian Lentil Meatballs?
- Basmati rice
- Naan Bread
- Indian Spinach Salad
- Palak Paneer
- Bombay Carrot Salad
- Authentic Chai!
- Chai Cookies!
Read more: Okonomiyaki
Enjoy the Vegan Lentil Meatballs- let us know what you think in the comments below.
Read more: 20 Vegetarian Freezer Meals for New Moms