A chocolate smoothie is a great way to start your day or to recharge mid-afternoon. This low carb smoothie will help you maintain your diet while you feel like you are indulging.
What goes into a low carb chocolate smoothie?
Each ingredient in this low carb chocolate smoothie has a purpose and will benefit your health. Here’s how to understand how to construct the perfect healthy smoothie:
- Coconut milk– the fats in coconut milk are the healthy kind that actually help you lose weight. They reduce your appetite and are essential for heart health. You can substitute other kinds of milk if you want. Dairy milk has protein while coconut milk does not. However dairy milk also has more carbs.
- Avocado– Avocados are also packed with healthy and necessary fats.
- Protein powder– Protein powder helps build muscle and lose weight. The most popular and nutritious protein powder is whey protein. Look for one with as few ingredients as possible and unsweetened.
- Collagen– Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body, but production decreases as we age. We commonly hear that collagen helps firm sagging skin and smooth wrinkles. But it also strengthens bones, increases muscle mass and improves the health of joints.
- Monk fruit sugar– While you can use any natural sweetener, monk fruit sugar is my favorite. There is no sugar in monk fruit so it does not affect glucose levels. It has no calories or carbs but will sweeten your smoothie.
- Cocoa powder– While cocoa may make you think of off-limits sweets, it actually contains healthy fats, antioxidants and fiber.
Is it healthy to have a smoothie for breakfast?
Smoothies can be a great addition to your diet. The ingredients make all the difference in whether the smoothie is healthy or not. I have smoothies like my Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie, Keto Avocado Green Smoothie, Low Carb Green Smoothie Recipe (Web Story), and Low Carb Raspberry Smoothie regularly.
Smoothies really are a sum of their parts. If your smoothie is made with high sugar fruit, sweetened yogurt or other high sugar ingredients, it’s not a great way to start your day. However, this low carb chocolate smoothie will provide you with a boost of protein and healthy fats to make it to lunch without feeling hungry.
How can I make my chocolate smoothie thicker?
There are several ingredients you can add to thicken any smoothie. If you choose the right ingredients, not only will you have a smoothie you can eat with a spoon, but you will also have extra nutritional benefits.
You can add any of these ingredients to the blender to thicken your low carb chocolate smoothie:
- Ice – the more ice you add, the thicker the smoothie will become.
- Nut butter
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin puree
If you get addicted and want to make smoothies frequently, invest in a quality high speed blender. As a result, your smoothies will consistently have a thick, smooth texture.
My favorite protein powder
There are lots of protein powders out there. Depending on the ingredients, they may have different purposes. You want to find one that fits your personal health goals, but always find one that has no added artificial sweeteners. Lots of protein powder use stevia and xylitol, which are great natural sweeteners. Also, choose a protein powder that has a short ingredient list. Below is the list of my favorite protein powders:
- Perfect Keto – This one is my favorite cause it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and it uses clean ingredients. There is not junk fillers.
- Vega Sport Premium Protein – This one is dairy-free, vegan and vegetarian too. However this is not keto friendly.
- Vega Protein & Greens Vanilla – This is vegan too and there is no soy. The flavour is good too. This is not keto friendly.
- Soy protein powder will help to build bone mass and is particularly helpful in older adults.
The Best Blender for Smoothie:
For sure to make a delicious smoothie you need a good blender that can crush ice into a drinkable slush and cut through frozen fruits, nut and seeds well. One of my favorite ones is the NutriBullet, just because it allows you to blend in the cup you’ll be drinking from. It’s so practical and makes clean up a breeze. Every smoothie I’ve made using it has turned out amazing!
Another one that I love is my Vitamix and it’s the the one item in my kitchen that gets used EVERY single day. It’s one of my favourite tools in the kitchen. I make smoothies, my low-carb blueberry muffins, my mashed cauliflower and lots of soups with it. It’s also make sauces, spreads and digs. I love it so much and really recommend it.
Other Healthy Smoothie Recipes to Try
- Low Carb Raspberry Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Super Energy Cranberry Apple Smoothie
- Mango Green Smoothie
- Cherry Pineapple Smoothie Recipe
- Peach Green Smoothie Recipe