An easy-to-make dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth all year long, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake is the ultimate treat. With its creamy ganache and delectable cookie crust, this frozen delicacy takes indulgence to a whole new level. Whether you choose the homemade version or opt for store-bought ingredients, this ice cream cake will surely become a family favorite.
Ice Cream Cake Options
If you’re new here, welcome! I believe in giving you options when it comes to making a recipe. We all have different kitchen setups, but that shouldn’t stop us from enjoying great food. Flexibility is key, even when it comes to freezing. So, with this recipe, you have two choices:
- Follow the recipe as written and make your own delicious homemade chocolate ganache.
- Use store-bought hot fudge instead of making your own ganache.
Whichever option you choose, rest assured that your guests will rave about this homemade ice cream cake.
What Size Pan to Use
To make this mouthwatering ice cream cake, you’ll need a 9″ x 13″ rectangular cake pan. However, feel free to use any pan you have on hand, such as a rectangular loaf pan, square brownie pan, or round springform or pie plate. Just keep in mind that you might have leftover ingredients if you use a smaller pan. This recipe makes enough for two smaller round pies or one large 9×13 cake.
Ice Cream Cake Layers
Oh, did I forget to mention the glorious addition of Oreos in this frozen masterpiece?
Layer #1: The Best Cookie Crust Recipe
While everyone adores the layers of mint chocolate ice cream and fudgy ganache, the unsung hero of this ice cream cake is undoubtedly the Oreo crust. Trust me, it’s worth every effort. Simply crush the Oreos, mix them with butter, and bake the crust for just ten minutes. This extra step gives the cake a delightful texture and adds a satisfying crunch when combined with the luscious chocolate fudge.
Layer #2: An Easy Chocolate Ganache Recipe
Making homemade chocolate ganache may sound fancy, but it’s incredibly simple. All you need are two ingredients: dark or semi-sweet chocolate and heavy cream. You can even add a splash of vanilla, orange water, or coffee for an extra burst of flavor. Depending on your desired consistency, you can adjust the ratio of chocolate to cream. For this recipe, we’re using a 2:1 ratio for a thick, fudge-like filling. Pour this irresistible ganache over the Oreo crumbs, and let it set.
Layer #3: Mint Chip Ice Cream
Instead of using store-bought containers, go for the old-school rectangular blocks of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Choose the best quality you can find and cut the block into approximately 1.5-inch slices. Arrange the layers in your pan like a puzzle, ensuring the entire pan is filled with the ice cream. Use a knife or spatula to evenly spread the ice cream and create a level surface.
Layer #4: Homemade Whipped Topping
Now comes the fun part – choosing your whipped topping. You have two options:
- Homemade whipped cream: Take a chilled bowl, add a container of whipping cream, sprinkle in a tablespoon or two of confectioners sugar, and whip on high until soft peaks form. Spread this heavenly whipped cream evenly over the ice cream layer.
- Store-bought non-dairy topping: If you prefer a non-dairy option, go ahead and use store-bought whipped topping.
It’s completely up to you! Now, let’s dive into this pan full of yum!
Storing and Cutting the Ice Cream Cake
To enjoy the perfect slice of ice cream cake, follow these tips:
- For optimal texture, freeze the cake for at least four hours. Leftovers can be stored in the freezer for up to two weeks. If you prefer a softer consistency, refrigerate the cake for an hour before serving.
- Before cutting, let the Oreo mint cake sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. This will make it easier to slice. Alternatively, dip your knife into warm water between each cut for a smoother experience.
Different Flavor Combinations
Now that you’ve mastered the technique, feel free to experiment with various flavor combinations. Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
- All-vanilla Ice Cream Cake: Use a butter cookie crust, white chocolate ganache or caramel ice cream topping, vanilla bean ice cream, and whipped topping.
- S’More Ice Cream Cake: Combine a graham cracker crust, chocolate ganache, rocky road ice cream, and finish with a topping of Fluff or torched marshmallows.
- PB and Jelly Ice Cream Cake: Create a delicious treat with a graham cracker crust, peanut butter sauce ice cream topping, strawberry ice cream, and whipped topping.
Your summer is about to get a whole lot sweeter, my friend!
Shop this Post
If you’re interested in finding the necessary ingredients and equipment for this recipe, click here.