Mississippi Pot Roast is crazy easy to make. Just 5 ingredients in the slow cooker means almost no prep for an incredibly tender, melt-in-your-mouth roast dinner.
Serve this meal over mashed potatoes with juices from the slow cooker for the ultimate comfort food!
What is Mississippi Pot Roast?
5 minutes prep is all you need! Who would have thought that an inexpensive cut of meat, combined with a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time in the crockpot could result in such a tender, savory, one-pot meal! Perfect for a potluck or a party so guests can help themselves! There is a fun story about this roast and how it came to be published in the New York Times!
BEEF I brown the beef first for extra flavor but if you’re rushing in the morning before work, you can skip the browning step!
RANCH & AU JUS MIX I most often use homemade ranch mix in this recipe since I always have it on hand. Regular or low sodium au jus or gravy mix is perfect in this recipe!
PEPPERONCINI PEPPERS The peppers and juice add a lot of flavor while the salt from the pepper brine makes the meat really tender! You’d think it makes this dish spicy but it doesn’t.
BUTTER Because everything is better with butter. It just is.
The Best Cut of Beef to Use
The nice thing about Mississippi mud pot roast is that you can use an inexpensive cut of meat like a chuck roast or a pot roast, even a pork roast will do.
Keep the seasonings the same, cooking it ‘low and slow’ in the crockpot for incredibly juicy results! Cooking on high is okay too but be sure to shorten the cooking time to avoid overcooking.
How to Make Mississippi Pot Roast
I’d say this is as easy as 1,2,3 to prepare but really, there aren’t even 3 steps. Just 2. Slow-cooked in the crockpot all day, this pot roast is tender, juicy, and oh so delicious!
- Brown roast and place in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until fork tender.
I pull the beef into chunks and mix it into the juices in the slow cooker. That’s all there is to it! Serve over a bed of mashed potatoes, with a side salad, and a slice of homemade garlic bread to soak up every last drop!
What To Do With Leftover Mississippi Pot Roast
Mississippi pot roast is even better as leftovers because all of the flavors have had a chance to blend together.
- Sandwich: Leftover pot roast makes great sandwiches for lunches the next day.
- Soup: Cut leftover pot roast into chunks and simmer it in a broth with potatoes, carrots, and onions for a hearty soup. Add some homemade dumplings on the top and there’s another dinner for another day!
Delicious Beef Roast Recipes
- Perfect Pot Roast – literally perfect in every way.
- French Dip Sandwich – tender & delicious
- Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Instant Pot Pot Roast – belly-warming meal!
- Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- Texas Chili – great for a crowd
Mississippi Pot Roast recipe originally developed by Robin Chapman, Ripley, MS.
For more information please see the list of Mississippi roast crock pot high