The BEST blueberry smoothie? Yes, we promise it’s this one. This smooth purple puree is full of healthy ingredients and tastes like heaven.
Yes, we’re ready to stand behind it. This here is really the best blueberry smoothie recipe! Seriously good smoothies are deceptively difficult to whip up: but this one hits all the right notes. It’s got the perfect creamy texture, tastes like pure blueberry, has no added sugar, and is full of real, whole food ingredients. (No fruit juice here.) And the best part? It’s got a hint of cinnamon, too. Ready to get started?
Reading: plain yogurt smoothies recipes
What makes this the best blueberry smoothie?
This “best” smoothie recipe came from a smoothie challenge. You see, I tried to make a tasty blueberry smoothie recipe by throwing a few things into a blender. It needed a lot of milk to come together, and the flavor tasted kind of “meh”. So Alex challenged me: he said he could make a better blueberry smoothie, with healthier ingredients. He went to work, and came up with a perfect blend of ingredients.
Here’s what makes this the best blueberry smoothie:
- Healthy ingredients. The ingredients had to be healthy, whole food ingredients that were heavy on the nutrients but big on flavor. No fruit juice, no added sugar!
- Sweet tart texture and thick texture. The flavor is perfect: pure blueberry, just sweet enough, with a frosty, creamy texture. Truly the best.
How to make a blueberry smoothie
Read more: How to use iaso tea for weight loss
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to blend together make this blueberry smoothie:
- Frozen blueberries*
- Greek yogurt
Simply blend in a blender and enjoy! A few tips on easy blending are below…
*Tip: If you have lots of fresh blueberries, see How to Freeze Blueberries.
How to properly blend smoothies: some tips!
It might sound deceptively simple to blend smoothies. Don’t you just throw it all in the blender and press go? There are actually some nuances to this process. Here’s what we recommend:
- Use a high speed blender if you have it. This best blueberry banana smoothie is easiest to make with a high speed or powerful blender.
- If you’re working with a blender that’s not top shape: Dice the carrot very small. Also, place the liquid items in the smoothie toward the bottom of the blender. If you put the frozen items towards the bottom, they can easily freeze solid and make it hard for the blender blades to turn.
- Add slightly more liquid if necessary. Liquid helps to blend a smoothie, so we’ve added a range for the liquid here (water). Scrape down the bowl of the blender and add a little bit of water at a time until you get the desired texture.
Blueberry smoothie variations
Read more: leasrn to make bath tea and milk
Alex and I like this blueberry smoothie as written: but of course you’re welcome to add your unique spin on it! Here are a few variations:
- Can you use fresh blueberries in this smoothie? Frozen blueberries make up most of the icy texture here; you could use fresh blueberries, but we’d do that with a frozen banana.
- Can you make it vegan? Sure can! We like the thickness that Greek yogurt brings, so the best substitute would be vegan yogurt. Or you could use just enough almond milk to bring it together.
- Do you need the carrot? Not necessarily, but we liked the added nutrients and sweetness.
- Can you make it a chocolate smoothie? Of course. Here’s our Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie.
This blueberry smoothie recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free, use vegan yogurt or almond milk.
More blueberry recipes
Outside of this blueberry smoothie recipe, here are a few more of our favorite blueberry recipes:
- “Magic” Blueberry Cobbler This simple 7-ingredient cobbler has a magic secret!
- Blueberry Salad The best green salad with a tangy dressing.
- Lemon Blueberry Pancakes Light and fluffy, with just the right citrus zing and sweet bursts of berries! Serve with easy blueberry compote.
- Best Blueberry Waffles Fluffy blueberry waffles are everyone’s favorite! Topped with a quick blueberry sauce.
- Blueberry Scones No matter who you’re trying to impress, this blueberry scone recipe is all it takes.
- Easy Blueberry Cake Fluffy, lightly sweet, and scented with lemon. Perfect for dessert or brunch!
- Banana Blueberry Muffins Made with oats and sweetened lightly with maple syrup.
Last updated: March 2020
Read more: How to tell if a tea set is worth money