Sharing is caring!
Potato mac salad is a Hawaiian plate lunch necessity. Tangy, creamy, and the ultimate chilled side dish that pairs perfectly with so many main dishes. A must try recipe.
Reading: Potato mac salad recipe hawaiian
If you’re from Hawai’i or ever been to Hawai’i then you should know that the Hawaiian plate lunch is king. Every mom and pop eatery to big restaurants serve up to go plates packed with all the local favorites.
A main entree like kālua pig, shoyu chicken, laulau, chicken katsu, or loco moco, along side 2 scoops sticky white rice, and a scoop of potato mac salad.
Now potato mac salad is not a true traditional Hawaiian dish, but has become a very popular local food here in Hawai’i. Every superhero needs a sidekick and every main dish needs a great side. Hawaiian potato mac salad is just that.
Now everyone and their grandma has different variations of potato salad, but this is mine. You’ll need…
(Full recipe instructions and ingredient amount are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post)
- Potatoes. I like to use Russet potatoes. You can also use Yukon gold or red potatoes as well.
- Elbow macaroni. This shape of macaroni helps hold the creamy base. You can use any other small pasta if you’d like.
- Apple cider vinegar. This gives the dish a little tang.
- Mayonnaise. Be sure to use a good brand, afterall this is the main base of this recipe.I like to use Best Foods Mayonnaise. This gives the dish it’s creamy texture and flavor as well as keeps it moist.
- Milk. I use cow’s milk, however you can swap it out with your milk of choice. This is used to help thin the mayonnaise.
- Granulated sugar. This helps balance out the tand and acidity from the vinegar.
- Salt and pepper
- Carrot. Adds a little touch of sweet and crunch.
- Onion. I like to use sweet Maui onions
- Hard boiled eggs. If you don’t care for eggs you can leave this out.
Optional add ins
Other great options that will add more layers of flavor
- Fresh crab
- Imitation crab
Tips for the best Hawaiian potato salad
- Drain the water well from the potatoes and the macaroni noodles. No one wants watery potato salad afterall.
- Add the vinegar to the potatoes while they are still warm. This allows the potatoes to absorb the tangy flavor better.
- Add the mayo dressing in batches. You can always add more may if the salad seems dry.
- Allow potato macaroni salad to chill in the refrigerator. This will allow the dressing to set and be less watery.
How to store potato mac salad?
Read more: 10 Delicious Ways to Eat More Kale
Once the potatoes have cooled, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
How long will it last?
This Hawaiian potato macaroni salad will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Be sure to keep chilled prior to eating.
Can you freeze potato salad?
Potato mac salad does not freeze well. The mayonnaise in this dish will separate which will change the flavor and texture of the dish. I would not recommend freezing.
Other great side dishes to try
- Purple sweet potato mash
- Macaroni salad
- Portuguese sweet bread
How to make potato mac salad?
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Heat a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add salt and a splash of oil to the water. Add the potatoes and boil for 5 minutes. Then add the elbow macaroni and continue to boil until potatoes are fork tender and the macaroni is al dente.
- Drain the potatoes and noodles. Toss with apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl add mayonnaise, milk, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Then add the mayonnaise mixture to the macaroni noodles and stir to combine.
- Add in carrots, onion, and eggs. Gently stir until well combined.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight until cooled.
- Serve cold and ENJOY!
Tried this recipe? Tag me on social. I’d love to see and share it.Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/keeping.it.relleFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/keepingitrellePinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/keepingitrelleTried and love this recipe? Please give it a rating.Pin for later.
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Potato mac salad recipe hawaiian