Potato stew recipe with step by step photos. This is a Kerala style potato stew made with coconut milk, pearl onions, herbs and spices. A vegan dish.
The recipe of this potato stew is so easy to prepare and yet tastes so good. I prepare potato stew to go with appam or ghee rice. The recipe is quick to prepare and even a beginner can make this delicious dish easily.
The recipe is similar to the Veg stew i had posted earlier. The flavors of the spices and curry leaves blend well with the creaminess and sweetness of coconut milk.
If you have ready coconut milk, then its very easy to prepare the stew. You can prepare this stew with fresh coconut milk or with store brought coconut milk.
Serve potato stew with appam, idiyappam, soft dosa or ghee rice. At times I have with steamed rice or plain paratha or any soft dosa variety.
How to make potato stew
1. Take 1 teaspoon whole black pepper and 2 cloves in a mortar-pestle. Crush coarsely. Keep aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a pan.
3. Add ½ cup thinly sliced pearl onions or shallots or onions and 1 small tej patta (Indian bay leaf). You can skip tej patta if you want, but it gives a nice subtle aroma in the stew.
4. Next add 1 inch ginger (julienned), 1 green chilli – slit (OPTIONAL) and 10 to 12 curry leaves.
5. Also add the crushed black pepper and cloves.
6. Sauté the onions till translucent. Do not brown them. You have to stir the onions at regular intervals till they become translucent.
7. Then add chopped potatoes (250 grams) or 4 medium potatoes, chopped.
8. Mix the potatoes with the onions and spices.
9. Now add 2 cups water or thin coconut milk.
10. Season with salt as required.
11. Cover the pan with its lid and simmer on a low to medium flame till the potatoes are cooked. In between do check and stir while the potatoes are cooking.
12. Simmer till the potatoes have softened. The potatoes need to be cooked well but do not overcook the potatoes.
13. Keep the flame to a low and add 1 cup thick coconut milk.
14. Mix very well and gently heat through for a minute or two. Do not heat too much or else the coconut milk can curdle.
15. Serve potato stew with appam, idiyappam, soft dosa or ghee rice. You can also have it with Indian flatbreads like roti, plain paratha or steamed basmati rice or cumin rice.
More curry recipes
- Potato sagu
- Potato korma
- Potato curry
- Veg sagu
- Dum aloo
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Please see more list about Veena’s curryworld vegetable stew