Pulled pork shepherd’s pie is a delicious twist on a classic recipe. It’s made with tender pulled pork, tasty sauteed veggies, and creamy mashed potatoes baked together in a casserole dish.
If you love pulled pork as much as we do, also try our easy pulled pork chili, pulled pork Korean pizza, and our chipotle pulled pork tacos!
This recipe was originally published in 2012. We’ve added some new photos and tweaked the recipe to make it even more delicious!
Pulled pork shepherd’s pie
This pork shepherd’s pie is all things cozy and delicious. We’ve taken the most impossibly tender Italian pork roast, shredded the meat, then added that to all the traditional shepherd’s pie ingredients.
You’ll get to dig into a thick layer of Italian-flavored pulled pork, tender veggies, peas, and corn all topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes. It’s one happy, feel-good meal.
Why you want to make this recipe
We’ve made this recipe MANY times over the years and have tweaked it until it became perfect. Years ago, we made this shepherd’s pie with bbq flavors, but it was a little strange. Since then we’ve altered this recipe using flavors that really compliment the pork. This Italian shepherd’s pie version is absolutely delicious!
Time-saving tip – Squeeze two pork roasts into your slow cooker. Serve one for dinner tonight as a roast, and use the other to make this pulled pork shepherd’s pie this week!
How to make pulled pork shepherd’s pie
This recipe does take a while to make, as you have to cook the pork first. But don’t be intimidated; there are essentially four steps and each of them is very simple.
- Cook the pork roast. This is as simple as putting the ingredients into your slow cooker and turning it on. After several hours, take the pork out and shred the meat using 2 forks. Remember to keep the juices that are in the pot – we use these to flavor the pie!
- Make the mashed potatoes. You’ve likely done this before. Boil potatoes then mash them with a little butter, cream, and some of the water they were cooked in.
- Cook the vegetables. For this step, you’ll saute and season onions, garlic, and carrots. Then you’ll mix in the pulled pork, the juices that you kept in your slow cooker pot, and some peas and carrots.
- Now, all that you have to do is assemble the shepherd’s pie (veggies and meat on the bottom, mashed potatoes on top) and put it into your oven to bake.
Full recipe in the recipe card below.
What to serve with pulled pork shepherd’s pie
Shepherd’s pie can easily be served as a complete meal. The one thing that can be nice to have on the side is a simple green salad tossed in our creamy balsamic vinaigrette. Here are a few other salad recipes that go well with pulled pork shepherd’s pie:
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Roasted Winter Green Salad
- The Best Kale Salad
- Bacon Kale Caesar Salad
Popular shepherd’s pie recipes
- Curried Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Topping
- Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie with Brown Butter Potatoes
- Leftover Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
More recipes to try
Please see more list about Pork pie with leftover pork roast