Here’s the perfect berry smoothie: tart, creamy, and full of sweet fruity flavor! It’s easy to blend up and has the best creamy texture.
When you go to make a smoothie: does it turn out too icy and thick? Or too frothy and thin? Or bitter and tasteless? Maybe it’s just us. But we are smoothie-challenged, over here! Meet the perfect berry smoothie: the answer to bad, made-on-the-fly blender creations. This one has just the right frosty yet creamy consistency and juicy berry flavor. There’s a little Greek yogurt for some protein to make it a filling breakfast or snack. Finally: we’ve met our perfect berry match.
Reading: really good fruit smoothies
Ingredients for a berry smoothie
Here’s what you’ll need to make this berry smoothie! We were intentional in our ingredient selection to use healthy ingredients and no overly sugary juices. You’ll also notice banana and yogurt: they’re essential to getting just the right creamy texture for a smoothie. (Trust us, we’ve tried all the variations!) Here’s what you need:
- Frozen mixed berries: You can use berries of any kind: we used that mix of blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries that’s easy to find in the frozen section.
- Banana: While banana is not a berry (nope!), it’s the perfect fruit for adding creaminess to the body of a smoothie.
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt gives this recipe a protein boost and helpful probiotics, and adds to that creamy texture. You can also use your favorite vegan yogurt.
- Ice: You’ve got to throw in a little ice for the perfect smoothie texture. This makes it fluffier, if that makes any sense.
- Milk: Use either standard milk or non-dairy milk: whatever you prefer.
- Maple syrup, honey or agave syrup: You definitely need sweetness to make the berry flavor sing.
How to make it plant based / vegan!
Read more: How to make fruit juice concentrate?
You can make this berry smoothie plant-based or vegan by doing two swaps:
- Use vegan yogurt or another ½ banana. This helps to keep right the right smoothie texture.
- Substitute non-dairy milk for the milk (1 for 1). Try oat milk, almond milk, or light coconut milk. (Regular coconut milk can be rather thick and have a strong flavor. If that’s all you have, dilute it with a little water.)
Can you store this berry smoothie?
Actually, you can! Smoothies are best eaten immediately. But this berry smoothie actually lasts 1 to 2 days refrigerated, stored in a sealed container or a mason jar with the lid on. If it separates (which is perfectly normal), just shake it up and you’re good to go.
Why would you store it? It’s actually perfect for breakfast on the good. Mix up a smoothie the night before, and you can enjoy it for breakfast the next day.
Add-ins & variations
This healthy berry smoothie is pretty perfect as is: but you can always mix it up with tasty additions! Here are a few options:
- Almond butter. Use 1 tablespoon or 2 for a stronger almond flavor (it will also dull the color a bit).
- Vanilla. Use ¼ to ½ teaspoon vanilla to heighten the flavors.
- Cinnamon: Add ⅛ teaspoon to give a hint of spice.
- Mint or basil. Add a few fresh mint or basil leaves for an herbaceous spin.
- Pineapple or mango. Substitute 1 cup of the frozen berries for 1 cup frozen pineapple or mango.
This berry smoothie recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan, plant-based and dairy-free, see the recipe for variations.
More smoothie recipes
Love to drink smoothies? Us too. Here are a few of our faves, including green, yogurt based, and more:
- Perfect Strawberry Smoothie or Fruit Smoothie Easy to blend up with the best creamy texture.
- Perfect Banana Smoothie Frothy, creamy, and just the right sweet banana flavor!
- Honeydew Smoothie Melon, pineapple and Greek yogurt make a delicate hydrating drink.
- Watermelon Smoothie This 3-ingredient smoothie is juicy and lightly sweet, with frozen strawberries and banana.
- Berry Almond Milk This creamy vegan smoothie features berries and almond milk.
- Best Blueberry Smoothie A smooth purple puree with healthy ingredients that tastes like heaven.
- Best Kale Smoothie, Perfect Avocado Smoothie or Spinach Smoothie The flavor is so irresistible, you’ll forget you’re eating all those nutrients.
Another great healthy drink? Try our homemade kombucha: it’s fun to brew your own at home!