Carrots are a vegetable I take for granted. Not any more thanks to Roasted Carrots!
Caramelized at the edges and tender within, this sweet and savory side is kid friendly, healthy, and can pair with whatever you are cooking for dinner tonight.
Reading: Roasted carrots in the oven
Most nights, I default to Roasted Brussels Sprouts (for a green veggie) or Roasted Sweet Potatoes (for something starchy and sweeter).
Read more: Top 9 how to grill frozen steak
However, there’s another nutritious orange vegetable that’s been stealing the show around here lately: carrots!
- Carrots are packed with vitamins, especially vitamin A.
- Carrots can last for 3 to 4 weeks in the refrigerator, making them convenient to keep on hand.
- You can roast them at the same time as other vegetables, like in this Roasted Potatoes and Carrots recipe.
- On a budget? Carrots are one of the most affordable types of produce. (Looking for more long-lasting, inexpensive produce? Check out this Sauteed Cabbage.)
Today I’ve included a recipe for the absolute best roasted carrots.
The trick is all in the size you cut them.
Plus, I’m giving you a few yummy, easy ways to season the carrots that will keep your meals feeling fresh.
The Best Roasted Carrots Recipe
The size you cut the carrots is everything.
Unlike Sauteed Carrots, which maintain their size during cooking, roasted carrots shrink significantly in the oven. For this reason, you’ll want to cut them into larger pieces.
Once you have the carrots cut, the next important step is oven temperature.
- Carrots. Roasting is a healthy, tasty way to cook carrots. The oven brings out their natural sweetness.
- Olive Oil. Heart-healthy olive oil is key to helping the carrots caramelize and keeps them from drying out or burning.
- Honey. Honey is a lovely pairing with carrots (hence why I use it in these Crockpot Carrots) and makes the carrots a little sticky and sweet. I leave it as optional, but if you are cooking for kids, it certainly helps make the carrots extra enticing!
- Herbs. While you can make roasted carrots with just good ol’ S&P, adding a mix of dried and/or fresh herbs gives them another dimension of savoriness.
- Cut the carrots into 1 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Top with the olive oil, honey, and seasonings. Toss to coat.
- Spread them into a single layer. Roast carrots at 400 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes, until fork tender. ENJOY!
- To Store. Roasted carrots can last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat. Arrange it in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Reheat at 400 degrees F, just until the carrots are hot. You also can rewarm them in a skillet or the microwave.
What to Serve with Roasted Carrots
- Chicken. Baked Bone-In Chicken Breast or Grilled Chicken Breast are classic pairings.
- Pork. For a special, homey meal, pair carrots with Air Fryer Pork Chops or Grilled Pork Tenderloin.
- Grains and Legumes. Carrots are a yummy addition to flexible, hearty salad recipes like this Quinoa Chickpea Salad.
- Sandwiches. Up the nutritional value of your next BLT or Air Fryer Grilled Cheese.
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Parchment Paper. Makes cleanup a breeze.
- Good Quality Chef’s Knife. One of the most critical tools in your kitchen.
These roasted carrots are easy enough for a weeknight and cozy enough for company. I hope they make their way into your oven and onto your plate today!
Read more: Sweet potatoes in foil on grill
For more information, please see more information about Roasted carrots in the oven