Roasted chicken thighs and potatoes, with carrots and onion, tossed with simple spices, garlic, and oil. Then baked until chicken is juicy with crispy skin and onions are roasted. Delicious one pan dinner!
If you love one-pan dishes as much as I do then you’ll also love this one-pan chicken and veggies, or even Mexican chicken and rice – maybe even one-pan salmon and veggies for the pescatarians out there!
Baked Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Roasted chicken thighs and potatoes is my mom’s recipe. She didn’t cook often (grandma did) but this was her absolute staple for healthy dinner ideas. Crispy potatoes, roasted onion, and garlic combined with juicy dark meat and crispy chicken skin and it will become your family’s favorite!
I’m obsessed with any chicken and potatoes combo because I am Ukrainian. Like Instant pot chicken and potatoes and one pan chicken and potatoes are just other variations of this recipe. My kids rave about this combo for days.
Then again, my family are chicken lovers in general; with at-least 2-3 chicken dishes in the rotation every week; like coconut cilantro grilled chicken, chicken stew, or baked chicken with peppers and mushrooms (to name just a few of our faves!)
I often double the recipe, bake one right away and refrigerate another one to bake the next day. It is called “make ahead”. 🙂 How genius am I? And very modest too. Shall we?!
Ingredients for Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
“Olena, where are the chicken thighs?” Sigh. As you can see from the photos, I’m a rule breaker of my own recipes. I did not have chicken thighs or chicken drumsticks on hand. So I just cut up whole chicken into pieces and used 2 lbs. The rest is going into the chicken noodle soup tomorrow.
- Chicken: The best chicken to use is meat with the bone in and skin on. It will be the juiciest baked chicken and potatoes you ever tried!
- Yellow potatoes or yellow flesh potatoes. Some avid potato fans told me the equivalent in the US is Yukon Gold. Also sometimes you can find yellow potatoes in the US. Red potatoes. Do not use russet potatoes. They make the best healthy mashed potatoes.
- Onion, carrots, and garlic: There is something about soft sweet carrot and roasted onion. And even maybe burnt slivers of garlic. Use the largest onion ever. There will be a fight for the caramelized roasted onion, trust me.
- Seasonings: You can use any dried herbs you like or have on hand. As you can imagine, my mom did not have any dried herbs back in the 90s in Ukraine. She used only salt, pepper, and garlic. My rule of thumb is 1 tsp salt + 1 tbsp dried herbs + 1 tsp cumin. You can skip cumin. The truth is I meant to use coriander but here we are…
How to Make Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
Tips for Best Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
- Stretch chicken skin: After mixing, stretch the skin to cover the meat to prevent it from drying out.
- Buy organic potatoes if you can: Then you don’t have to peel them and the skin contains many nutrients and vitamins.
- Choose deep dish: You can use any large 9 x 13 or even bigger baking dish with walls. Oven-proof glass or ceramic baking dish is great. You want to be able to mix ingredients with your hands without chicken and potatoes “flying” around your kitchen.
- Sweet potatoes cook faster than regular potatoes: If you want, add them to the pan after chicken, carrots and onions have been baking for 15 minutes. Do not forget to stir.
- If you want “to eat more vegetables”: Make my green smoothie to go with these roasted chicken thighs. We often “eat more vegetables” this way. You can also serve them alongside other veggie sides like roasted asparagus or Brussels sprouts.
Make Ahead, Store and Reheat
Meal prep and make ahead tip – double the recipe: Bake one tonight and refrigerate 2nd one assembled and covered, then bake tomorrow. I do it all the time.
Storing: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Veggies will lose their crispy-ness.
Reheating: You can reheat meat and potatoes in a ceramic non-stick skillet, to bring some of the crispiness back and without much oil thanks to the coating.
Enjoy my mom’s roasted chicken thighs. Seems like many of you have, especially the husbands. 🙂
More Chicken Thigh Recipes
- One pan chicken and veggies
- Baked chicken thighs
- Instant Pot chicken thighs
- Healthy fried chicken
- Grilled chicken thighs
- Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Thighs
You might also enjoy this list of 65 healthy chicken recipes.
For more information, please see more information about Chicken thighs and roasted potatoes