If you’ve never had Roasted Onions, they’re a delicious side dish and have so much flavor!
In this recipe, the onions become sweet and mellow with caramelized bits as each piece softens. and softens each piece, making these onions both sweet and savory. These are perfect to enjoy on their own or to add to so many other recipes!
Sweet, Savory, & So Easy!
- Simple and inexpensive, this side goes with almost any meat.
- Prep is about 5 minutes. Simply slice, season and bake.
- Part of the allium family, and just like roasted garlic, when onions are oven roasted they become mellow and sweet.
- Add leftovers to soup, stew or my favorite, add it to gravy!
ONIONS All onions are readily available and affordable. Yellow onions are most popular in many recipes and are perfect for roasting. But we really love sweet white onions or Walla Wallas. Of course, any onion will work.
As a garnish with holiday lamb, ham, or turkey, try using pearl onions and cippolini onions. These can be baked whole.
SEASONINGS Rosemary and thyme are excellent sprigs of herbs to add to the dish as the onions roast. Add them whole across the tops of the onions for a delicate flavor or chop them finely and sprinkle over top for more herb flavor.
How to Roast Onions
Roast these in the oven until they are crisp, golden, and irresistible.
- Prepare the butter mixture. Slice the onions & place them in a casserole dish.
- Brush the onions with the butter mixture. Add water, salt, & pepper.
- Roast (as per the recipe below).
Depending on the preference, the material of the baking dish, and the type of onion, cooking can vary. I prefer a ceramic or glass dish and love the little crispy edges. Check the onions early and roast to your preference.
Best Way to Use Roasted Onions
I love to eat them warm out of the pan just as is.
There are so many ways other ways to use these roasted onions!
- Topper: They are a delicious condiment topper for juicy turkey burgers, street tacos, or add them to an easy turkey wrap.
- Side Dish: Up-level a juicy oven-grilled steak by layering the top with roasted onions, or stir them into an oven veggie medley with mushrooms, carrots, and peppers.
- Addition to: And don’t forget about adding flavor to mashed potatoes, mushroom sauce, or soup, beef stew or gravy.
Keep leftover roasted onions in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or enjoy them cold in a burger or wrap. Leftovers can be added to different soups like Cream of Onion Soup, Slow Cooker French Onion Soup, and Homemade French Onion Soup. These would go great with a thick piece of homemade bread.
Our Fave Roasted Veggies
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes – sweet & savory
- Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts – only 5 ingredients
- Maple Roasted Parsnips – freezer friendly
- Roasted Delicata Squash – so easy to make
- Garlic Roasted Broccolini – simple yet elegant!
Did your family love these Roasted Onions? Leave us a comment and a rating below!
For more information please see the list of How long does it take to roast onions