Try this tasty oat milk smoothie recipe, customizable for any fruit! It’s one of the best plant based milks for blending into smoothies.
Looking for a fantastic non-dairy milk to use in smoothies? Try oat milk! Oat milk is one of our favorite vegan milk options. It’s seriously creamy and has the closest flavor to milk as any of the other plant-based milks (in our opinion). So what not try it in an Oat Milk Smoothie? This smoothie recipe is our favorite template and works using any type of frozen fruit. Here we’ve used strawberries: but feel free to get creative! Here’s a bit more about this tasty smoothie recipe.
Another great oat-centered smoothie? Try our Oatmeal Smoothie!
Ingredients in this oat milk smoothie
This oat milk smoothie recipe works for any type of frozen fruit. But you can’t go wrong with strawberry banana! It’s our favorite way to load up on healthy fruit that tastes like a dessert. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Frozen strawberries (or any frozen fruit): Strawberries are our go-to, but there are many more ways to mix and match this recipe.
- Fresh banana: All you need are two room temperature bananas. No need to remember to freeze them!
- Oat milk (plain unflavored): Use plain or unflavored oat milk. You can use vanilla if you like, but sometimes vanilla flavors are overly sweet or artificial tasting.
- Ice: Ice adds just the right frozen texture.
- Maple syrup or honey (optional): Whether you need it depends on the ripeness of the bananas. Sometimes frozen strawberries can also be very tart and need a little sweetener. Add a touch to taste.
Variations: mix and match the frozen fruit!
There are so many other variations on this oat milk smoothie: too many to count! But to get your wheels turning, here are some of our favorite frozen fruit ideas and a few more creative combinations:
- Blueberries, raspberries, or mixed berries
- Blueberry mango
- Raspberry peach
- Mango pineapple, etc etc!
Why use oat milk in smoothies?
Oat milk is a dairy free, plant based milk that’s made with oats and water. It’s fantastic for smoothies because it’s a dairy free milk that helps to achieve a creamy texture. Side note: it’s also great for vegan lattes! It’s one of the only vegan milks that froth up like dairy milk. Here’s what to know about using oat milk in smoothies:
- Can you taste oat milk in smoothies? Not really! Oat milk has a similar flavor to dairy milk, and melds well into flavors.
- Does oat milk make smoothies thicker? Again, not really. But one thing to note: oat milk is closer in creamy texture to dairy milk than almond milk, which is more like water. So it’s a very good substitute for dairy milk.
Ways to add protein to this oat milk smoothie
This oat milk smoothie is vegan, so it doesn’t have any dairy milk or yogurt like our standard smoothie recipes. Here’s the thing: both of those ingredients have a good amount of protein. So if you’re looking for a protein-packed drink, you’ll want to add one of the following:
- Almond butter: Add 1 tablespoon of almond butter, or use 2 tablespoons for an even nuttier flavor. It does add an almond flavor and will dull the color of the smoothie a bit.
- Protein powder: Protein powder is another plant-based way to amp up the protein in this smoothie. Use a high quality vanilla protein powder (some notes on buying a good brand are in this energy balls post).
- Chia seeds: Add 2 tablespoons of chia seeds to this smoothie to add 11 grams fiber and 4 grams protein!
Oat milk is also great for…
Of course, you can use oat milk in so many different ways! Oat milk is also great for:
- Lattes. Make a Vegan Chai Latte.
- Scones. Make Easy Vegan Scones.
- Pudding. Make Vegan Chocolate Pudding with oat milk.
- Granola. Eat with Healthy Granola.
- Pancakes. These Vegan Pancakes are a great way to use this plant-based milk.
- Oatmeal. Use it for Overnight Oats to make them ultra creamy.
- Soup. Sub it for dairy milk in Creamy Vegan Potato Soup.
This oat milk smoothie recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free.