Pineapple Turmeric Smoothie
A turmeric smoothie is the perfect way to kickstart your day. Tropical fruits are blended with immune-boosting ingredients to create a deliciously healthy drink. It’s creamy, naturally sweet, and will have you feeling good from the inside out.
Reading: smoothies with turmeric and ginger
Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Smoothie
If you’re a smoothie drinker like me, it’s always good to switch up your routine. Typically, I like to make my green smoothie which includes anti-inflammatory ingredients such as berries and avocado. But instead of adding more greens, turmeric and ginger make a strong power couple in this tropical golden smoothie.
While these ingredients boasts tons of health benefits, it doesn’t stop there. The bananas and pineapple are loaded with vitamin C, vitamin D, and a hearty dose of potassium. So when you combine everything together, it turns into one powerful drink.
Turmeric Smoothie Recipe Video
Want to see how easy it is to make this recipe? Watch the video below!
The Many Benefits Of Turmeric
Turmeric gets a lot of buzz – and for good reason. You need just a small amount to nourish your body with all its benefits and it can easily be added into any meal or drink (like my jamu juice).
To break it down for you, it all revolves around its shining compound: curcumin. The list can go on forever, but two key benefits are that it’s high in antioxidants and it’s a strong fighter against inflammation. It’s also been shown to have positive effects to the body, brain, and certain diseases.
Yep, you can say this is one ingredient you don’t want to miss!
Fresh vs Dried Turmeric
When it comes to using turmeric, you have two options: fresh or dried. Sometimes one is better for cooking and the other for blending into drinks. But it all really depends on how punchy of a flavor you want. Here’s a quick guide on what to look for in and expect in both.
Raw turmeric roots look very similar to its close relative – ginger. It has an orange flesh that’s earthy, bitter, and slightly peppery. With a more pungent flavor overall compared to dried turmeric. And similar to ginger, it can be thinly sliced, cubed, or grated before using. I thinly slice it for my jamu recipe.
You’ll normally find fresh turmeric in the produce section of heavily stocked markets or Asian grocery stores. Just be sure to choose the ones that are firmer and not soft or shriveled.
Dried turmeric is made from a boiling and drying process, turning it into a ground texture. While it loses some of its pungency, it still retains its strong coloring. Making it great for turmeric tea, sprinkling into smoothies or sautés.
Specialty spice shops generally have a fresher stock. But you can also find it in your normal grocery store. And to test if its good quality, take notice of its aroma versus the color. A stronger aroma means higher quality.
Let’s Talk Ingredients
There’s just a handful of immune-boosting ingredients in this recipe. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Pineapple: Frozen pineapple chunks are best for a thicker consistency. Which means you can simply buy a bag of frozen pineapple instead of going through the difficulty of slicing one.
- Banana: Use a fresh banana. No need for a frozen banana as the pineapple chunks will chill the smoothie.
- Turmeric: I prefer fresh turmeric, but if you can’t find fresh, ground turmeric works just fine in this smoothie. Here’s the equivalent: 1-inch fresh turmeric = 1 tablespoon fresh grated turmeric = 1 teaspoon ground turmeric.
- Ginger: If you can’t find fresh, you can used dried ginger. But just note that they do impart a slightly different flavor. Here’s the equivalent: 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger = 1/3 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Milk: Any milk works in this smoothie, but since we’re going for anti-inflammatory effects here, I recommend a non-dairy milk. Choose from options such as almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk.
How to Make Turmeric Smoothie
While turmeric and ginger both have a pungent, bitter flavor. Don’t worry. Combining it with fresh fruit turns it into a real treat. Once you’ve got all your ingredients, just toss everything in a blender. Then, blend on high for about 30 seconds until it’s luscious and creamy. Voila, turmeric smoothie!
Start The Day With These Healthy Smoothies
In addition to this vibrant turmeric smoothie, you’ll love these easy, healthy smoothie recipes:
- Blueberry Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Golden Beet Carrot Turmeric Smoothie
- Almond Orange Smoothie