Southern Cucumber and Tomato Salad features a lovely combination of fresh flavors with crisp, cool cucumbers, sweet, ripe tomatoes, and just a touch of zesty red onions. These vegetables are marinated in a simple but tasty, sweet, and tangy, salad dressing made with apple cider vinegar.
An old-fashioned recipe, this light, and refreshing cucumber and tomato salad tastes as good as it looks. It is very popular in the South, especially during the summer at backyard barbecues and potlucks. It’s also perfect for picnics or a day at the beach because it can be served at room temperature.
Reading: Vinegar cucumber tomato onion salad
A cucumber-only version of this salad originated in Germany, where it is called Gurkensalat. The authentic version, without tomatoes, is often served with fresh dill. There are also cucumber-only Asian versions seasoned with chili oil or paste and other Asian seasonings.
Directions – here’s how to make this recipe:
- Slice the cucumbers. (See tips.)
- Core and cut up the tomatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Chop the onion.
- Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pepper to a mason jar. Shake well.
- Pour the salad dressing over the vegetables and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate the cucumber and tomato salad until you are ready to serve it. It can be served at room temperature or chilled.
Frequently asked questions:
- English or hothouse cucumbers do not need to be peeled. They have thin skin and are usually wrapped in plastic at the grocery store. Regular slicing or standard cucumbers have thicker skins, and it’s up to you whether to peel them or not. Regular cucumbers also have larger seeds. If using regular cucumbers, I usually cut them in half lengthwise. Then I scrape most of the seeds and gelatinous material out before slicing.
- I also like to use the tins of a fork to scrape down the outside edge of my cucumbers because I like the way it looks once sliced.
- For best results, use the freshest and ripest tomatoes you can find! But, of course, it’s even better if you have homegrown tomatoes.
- To core tomatoes, insert the tip of a paring knife just outside the stem at an angle. Then cut around it to remove all of the woody or fibrous stem.
- This salad is excellent served when prepared. But it’s just as good, if not better when allowed to marinate for a day before serving.
- Because the salad dressing doesn’t contain any oil, this healthy salad is naturally low in calories, coming in at only 68 calories per serving. So you can eat as much as you like without any guilt!
More Southern-style salads:
If you like this recipe, I think you might also like these popular salads on my blog: Classic Southern Potato Salad, Cornbread Salad, Summer Pasta Salad, Broccoli Slaw with Ramen Noodle Salad, Apple Pecan Salad, Grape Salad with Cream Cheese, or Southern Broccoli Salad with Craisins.
If you need more menu ideas, you can see all of my salad recipes here.
⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and give it a star rating. I would love to know how you liked it!
Thank you so much for visiting Grits and Pinecones. I hope you come back soon!
Read more: how to make a thai salad
For more information, please see more information about Vinegar cucumber tomato onion salad