Are you tired of the same old chicken salad with mayo? Look no further! This mayo-free chicken salad is about to become your new obsession. It’s creamy, crunchy, and packed with great flavors. Plus, it’s healthier than traditional chicken salad. So, if you’re looking for a lighter and more nutritious option, this recipe is perfect for you!
High Protein Chicken Salad
This creamy salad is not only delicious but also an awesome way to get your daily protein intake. Made with lean chicken and Greek yogurt, it will leave you feeling full and satisfied. It’s a great option for kids who aren’t big meat or fish fans. They’ll love this chicken salad on crackers or in sandwiches, making it perfect for school lunches too!
Ingredients and Preparation
- Cooked Chicken: Leftover store-bought rotisserie chicken or any cooked boneless skinless chicken meat will work.
- Celery: Adds color and crunch to the salad.
- Red Onion: You can swap it for sweet onion or green onion if you prefer.
- Dried Cranberries: Adds a touch of sweetness. Opt for 50% less sugar Craisins to reduce sugar content.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Full-fat whole milk Greek yogurt works best.
- Dijon Mustard: Grey Poupon is a great choice.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed is always best.
- Red Wine Vinegar: Adds tang to the salad.
- Salt and Pepper: Use kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Fresh Herbs (for garnish): Parsley, dill, or scallions.
How to Make Chicken Salad Without Mayo
- Chop up the cooked chicken, celery, and red onion.
- Place the chicken, onion, celery, and cranberries in a medium or large bowl.
- Add Greek yogurt, vinegar, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well with a spoon or spatula. Adjust flavors if needed.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh dill, parsley, or scallions, if desired.
There are numerous delicious ways to enjoy this healthy chicken salad. Here are a few suggestions:
- Serve it on a bed of greens and crunchy vegetables.
- Wrap it in lettuce leaves for a light and refreshing meal.
- Make a classic sandwich or wrap with it.
- Use it as a dip with sliced cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, and crackers.
Storage and Freezing Tips
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container or a bowl wrapped with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also freeze the salad for up to 3 months. Remember to thaw it completely in the fridge before serving.
For meal prep purposes, store the salad on its own in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve it. Then, you can put it on a bed of greens, in a wrap, or enjoy it however you prefer.
Substitutions and Variations
Feel free to experiment and customize your chicken salad. Here are a few ideas:
- Add more crunchy veggies like chopped bell peppers, cucumbers, or diced carrots.
- Swap dried cranberries for raisins, dried cherries, or fresh halved red grapes.
- Replace red wine vinegar with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Try Skyr (thick Icelandic yogurt) as a substitute for Greek yogurt.
- For avocado chicken salad, mix in mashed ripe avocados with Greek yogurt.
- Swap red onion for spring onion or sweet onion like Vidalia.
- Enhance the flavor with fresh herbs like chopped dill, parsley, scallions, or chives.
- Experiment with different seasonings like Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, cayenne pepper, or Cajun seasoning to add an interesting twist.
Say goodbye to boring chicken salad with mayo and give this mayo-free version a try. It’s creamy, tangy, and full of delicious flavors. Perfect for a light and healthy meal, it’s also a great way to use up leftover chicken. So, get creative and enjoy this protein-packed chicken salad in various ways – you won’t be disappointed!
To discover more recipes like this, visit Family Cuisine. Don’t forget to share your thoughts and experience in the comments. I can’t wait to hear from you and see how this recipe turns out for you. Enjoy!