This white bean stew is a classic recipe that will fill your belly and warm you right up! With the insanely delicious flavor, this hearty stew will be your guests’ favorite and fly off the table!
I love stew, especially in the wintertime! It’s nice to have a meal that keeps me warm and full at the same time! Try out some other favorites like this one-pot chicken stew, this fantastic beef stew or even this vegetable stew!
What is Bean Stew?
Bean stew is a hearty soup made with all sorts of vegetables, seasoned broth, and of course, white beans! It’s chock full of amazing ingredients, and your body will thank you later for filling it up with such good and healthy things! White beans are a nutritional powerhouse and packed with good protein and fiber. But just because it’s healthy doesn’t mean it has to taste bad! This bean stew tastes delicious and is super easy to make. You cook everything in one pot, so the clean-up is a breeze!
My kids will eat this soup and not just choke it down… they actually love it! It’s a classic that is constantly on the menu for those cold and dreary winter months. Plus, not only is this soup simple to make, but it takes less than 45 minutes from start to finish, and you will have a delicious dinner ready to go on the table! Serve this up with some breadsticks and a salad and you are ready to eat! Trust me when I say that this dish isn’t one you want to miss out on!
Ingredients to Make Stew
Once you have your pot and veggies ready to go, making this stew will be so easy! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Olive Oil: This is used to cook your vegetables in so that they get nice and tender.
- Onion: Dice this up into small pieces so that you can have flavor in every bite!
- Carrots: Peel these and chop them up before putting these in this stew.
- Celery: My kids like the celery chopped into tiny pueces but you can cut these up into whatever size that you want!
- Garlic: minced garlic adds such a great flavor to this stew.
- Tomato Paste: The paste helps add to the thick texture and also adds in some flavor at the same time!
- Salt and Pepper: These are used for flavoring.
- Italian Seasoning: You can use storebought seasoning or try out my Homemade Italian Seasoning recipe.
- Vegetable Broth: This is the base of the stew.
- Diced Tomatoes : More veggies and flavor for the broth!
- Potato: Peel your potatoe and chop it up into similar sized pieces so that it cooks evenly.
- White Beans: drain and rinse these before putting them in the stew.
- Fresh Parsley: This is used for a garnish right before you serve the stew.
How to Make White Bean Stew
In less than 45 minutes, you will be enjoying a delicious and hearty stew that will fill your entire family right up! It’s so good and healthy that you don’t even need to make any extra sides if you don’t want to!
- Cook and Soften Vegetables: In a large pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil, onions, carrots, and celery. Cook and stir for about 8 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Add Seasonings: Add the garlic, tomato paste, dried Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Combine and Simmer: Pour in the vetagable broth, diced tomatoes (with liquid), potato, and white beans (drained and rinsed). Stir to combine, cover with a lid, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with a side of French bread!
For more information please see the list of What to serve with bean stew