This Spinach Rice is full of fresh flavor and zest. Made with herbs, lemon, and other veggies, this delicious rice dish is healthy, mouthwatering, and perfect with any meal.
Spinach Rice is such a tasty side dish. This recipe brings in so many ingredients that are packed with flavor. From the fresh lemon to the assortment of herbs, the basics of rice and spinach are taken to another level with this dish. And a note of creaminess is added with some plant-based butter. Yum!
This is a really healthy way to enjoy rice. Satisfying and filling, it incorporates fresh herbs, more vegetables, and of course spinach, which is considered a superfood. I just love how tasty this vegan side dish is, and how well it pairs with other things I serve at mealtime. It’s also convenient since I have my grain and my veggies in the same dish. You’ll really enjoy the many flavors of this recipe, as well as how easy it is to prepare. Here’s what you’ll be using.
What you’ll need
- Rice. I suggest using Basmati rice in this recipe. Other long grain rice could be used as a substitute, but cooking time (and water/rice ratio) may need to be adjusted according to the package instructions. Even short grain rice could be used, but in this case, you’ll need to stir the dish often or you’ll end up with creamy rice, similar to risotto.
- Spinach. Use baby spinach leaves for the best results. These leaves are tender, don’t have hard stems, and don’t even need to be cut. I don’t like using frozen store-bought spinach, but you can do it if that’s what you have on hand.
- Olive oil. Or any other kind. It’s your choice.
- Garlic. Add a great pungent flavor and aroma.
- Onion. For extra flavor and sweetness.
- Herbs. Dill and chives or scallions really add extra flavor, so don’t skip them.
- Lemon. We’ll use some lemon juice and lemon zest in this recipe.
- Veggie broth. If you use low-sodium broth, you may need to add some extra salt. Mine is fully seasoned, so I am not adding any extra salt.
- Plant butter. It adds some extra aroma and creaminess to the dish. You can skip this ingredient, if you’d like.
- Vegan feta. To garnish this dish. I used Just Like Feta by Violife. This ingredient is optional, of course. You can also make homemade vegan feta cheese from tofu.
How to make this Spinach Rice
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook the onions for about 5-7 minutes, or until they are translucent and start to brown.
2. Add the garlic, ¼ cup of dill, and ¼ cup of chives. Sauté everything for another minute or two.
3. Add the spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until it wilts down.
4. Add the basmati rice and vegetable broth, then stir. Check if it needs some salt (my broth is fully seasoned). Bring it to a boil, cover the pot with a lid, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Open the lid and place the butter on top. Cover again, and let it rest for 5 minutes, allowing the butter to melt and the rice to finish cooking.
6. Now add the 2 tbsp. of dill, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Stir everything well and serve.
About the Veggie Broth
I am not sure if you have chosen your favorite veggie broth yet, but I wanted to give you some options and share what I use. You can make veggie broth from scratch, and while I do it from time to time, I often need to have a second option. I have tried many packaged veggie broth brands, and I ended up loving Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base and Better Than Bouillon Vegan No Chicken Base. Orrington Farms is another great brand. Whatever you choose to use, make sure you taste the rice and adjust the flavor by adding some salt and pepper, if necessary.
Check your seasonings. Because you may be using a different veggie broth, or may decide against using plant-based butter, check to make sure that the amount of salt used is to your preference.
Let the dish rest after cooking. Rice takes a lot longer to cook than the other ingredients, so make sure you let it rest in the hot broth to complete the cooking process. Otherwise your delicious Spinach Rice is going to be hard and crunchy.
How to Store and Reheat
This Spinach Rice can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-5 days. To reheat it, you can either microwave it or warm it on the stovetop. If you like, you can add a splash of veggie broth to the rice to loosen it up.
I hope you love this yummy Spinach Rice recipe. With tons of flavor, great texture, and easy prep, you and your family are going to enjoy serving this with your meals.
What to serve with this yummy rice:
- Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- Vegan Mushroom Sauce
- Napa Cabbage Salad with Corn
- Creamy Zucchini Sauce
Psst! I think you’d really enjoy this Roasted Cabbage!