Hearty and packed with spices, this simple weeknight vegetarian chili tater tot casserole is cooked in a skillet, covered with cheese and tater tots then finished in the oven. Cozy, Vegan or Vegetarian Chili Tater Tot Hotdish feeds a small crowd, and travels and freezes with ease! This recipe is vegetarian, easily gluten free, and easily vegan. [ VIDEO in recipe card ] | Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Frontier Co-op. All opinions are my own.
Reading: vegetarian hot dish recipe
What’s a Hotdish?
What’s this casserole called a hotdish? Have you heard of them?
I didn’t even know it existed until I’d been blogging for a while. Seeing variations of this Midwestern casserole on Pinterest and Instagram had me exploring ways to create my own sort with a bit of my Texas roots spin
A hotdish is a casserole baked in one dish, served hot and generally consists of a starch, meat, vegetables and canned soup. While this vegetarian tater tot casserole doesn’t fully fit the traditional definition of a hotdish, there are so many ways and variations, I figured I could get by squeezing one more in.
Read more: Middle Eastern Okra – Bamya
In Texas, we always called these types of recipes casseroles, but still, I’d yet to see any tater tot casserole, without meat, of my childhood covered in tater tots. This is something I’d never forget.
The Best Ingredients
This easy gluten free vegan or vegetarian chili tater tot hotdish relies heavily on spices to create its hearty and mouthwatering flavors. A must in any chili recipe is high quality chili powder. Frontier Co-op’s Organic, Non-GMO Chili Powder is a blend of spices including chili pepper, cumin, oregano, coriander, and garlic, to create a robust yet balanced flavor that’s not too spicy. I use it in all my chili recipes, and then some.
To take the spicy up in this vegetarian tater tot casserole, I’ve saved that job for jalapeños – as always, add more to taste or pile fresh or pickled on top!
How To Make this Chili Tater Tot Casserole
Read more: vegetarian main dish recipe sage basil
It comes together in one pan! Could it get any easier? Here’s how to make it (see recipe card below for full details):
- Start by making the quick and easy vegetarian chili base in a cast iron skillet, sautéing flavor builders like onions, garlic, jalapeños and spices.
- Add the beans and broth then top with cheese and tater tots. For an easy vegan chili casserole, simply leave the cheese off.
- Pop it in the oven for about 30 minutes and what emerges is a completely mouthwatering vegetarian casserole (just bury me in tater tots… mmmK?).
A hearty gluten free chili underneath melty cheddar and crispy tater tots. Omit the cheese and this recipe easily becomes a fabulous vegan chili tater tot casserole. Serve with a variety of toppings to make it your own, like green onions, cilantro, avocado, jalapeños, pepita crema and/or sour cream.
I know what you may be thinking…. more cheese on top?
A Few Recipe Notes
- Change up the beans! Black beans are also lovely in this dish. Sub black beans for kidney or pinto for a delicious variation.
- Freezer Friendly? Yes Please! This vegetarian tater tot casserole makes excellent leftovers and is freezer friendly.
- Vegan Friendly? You got it! Omit the cheese or use your favorite plant based cheese to make this a vegan chili tater tot casserole. You can make it 1/2 n 1/2 for the cheese lovers and cheese avoiders!
- While the ingredient list looks long, it’s mostly pantry staples. Do not let it deter you!
To learn more about member owned, responsible to people and planet Frontier Co-op, their spices and work, find Frontier Co-op on their website, on Instagram, and Facebook. Be sure to show how you #CookWithPurpose!
Read more: what vegetarian dish to do with relish
More Vegetarian (and vegan) Chili Recipes to Love
- Pumpkin Two Bean Chili
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian and Vegan Chili