This Watermelon Feta Salad is my go-to summer side dish. It is full of bright, fresh flavors that complement any backyard BBQ menu!
Watermelon Feta Salad
Watermelon and feta, in my opinion, are a match made in heaven! The sweetness of the watermelon mixed with the salty, tangy flavor of the feta just WORKS. So, naturally I am obsessed with this salad. It is everything I want in a summer salad – bright, crunchy, and fresh. This is a perfect potluck recipe because it can be doubled or tripled easily and everyone loves every bite!
Reading: Recipe for feta and watermelon salad
Read more: how to make cucumber salad with sour cream
I love to serve this with chicken, shrimp or steak on the grill – especially this Grilled Balsamic Chicken. It also pairs beautifully with this Grilled Pork Tenderloin or these Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets.
Ingredients for Watermelon Feta Salad
Two of the main ingredients for this light, fragrant salad recipe are included right in the name. Once you have those, here’s all you need to put this gorgeous salad together:
- Watermelon – see below tips on how to properly cut a watermelon
- Feta Cheese – a substitute for milk feta could be goat cheese, cottage cheese or a mild cotija cheese
- Blueberries – fresh taste best, however you could use frozen berries if they’re not in season
- Cucumbers – either slice or cut into chunks, your preference
- Freshmint leaves – find these in the produce section of the grocery store
- Fresh basil – again, they can be found in the produce section
- Limes – you’ll need the juice of two limes, but you can also use the zest of the outer lime for extra flavor
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- You can also add any other ingredients that you have on hand: red onion, green onion, lemon juice, and fresh herbs
- For more of a dressing, drizzle balsamic vinegar or extra-virgin olive oil on top of the salad.
- For added crunch and texture toss in a handful of walnuts, almonds or any other kind of nuts you like.
- Add the watermelon, blueberries, cucumber, and feta to a large bowl. Stir to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Add the mint, basil, lime juice, lime zest (optional), and salt (optional). I like to cut my herbs by putting the leaves all in one stack and then rolling them up and slicing them like you would slice cinnamon rolls. This creates really pretty ribbon shapes for the salad.
- Stir everything together really well and chill until ready to serve. Give it a quick stir before serving.
How to Cut a Watermelon
For this watermelon salad, you’ll want to cut the fruit into bite size pieces. You can use a melon baller also, but here’s how to get perfect pieces using a knife.
- Use a solid surface like a cutting board or butcher’s block and a large sharp knife.
- Slice the ends of the watermelon just until you see the red fruit.
- Place the watermelon on a freshly cut end and slice the rind off, working top to bottom all the way around the melon.
- Next, cut the melon in half lengthwise from the top.
- Then take each half and place cut side down. Make slices about one inch thick.
- Then cut each slice into strips, then cut those strips into cubes.
Other BBQ Side Dishes to Make this Summer
Heading to a BBQ this summer? Try some of our favorite side dishes!
Read more: Applebees Oriental Salad Dressing
- Grape Salad with Crunchy Coconut Topping
- Blueberry Jell-o Salad
- Easy Fruit Salad
- Watergate Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Southwest Pasta Salad
- Creamy Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
How to Make Watermelon Feta Salad
Please see more list about Recipe for feta and watermelon salad