Enjoy the best of summer produce in this refreshing Watermelon Tomato Salad. It’s simple to make with only a few ingredients and can be customized to suit your tastes.
I think once you try this salad, you’ll be hooked like I am! And it pairs perfectly with all your favorite cookout recipes.
- Balsamic vinegar
- More watermelon recipes
- 📋 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
Watermelon and tomatoes are some of my favorite seasonal ingredients. It may seem odd to put them together, but they are actually both fruits, even though we often think of tomatoes as vegetables.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this delicious recipe:
- Watermelon (I prefer the seedless mini variety.)
- Tomatoes (My favorites are colorful heirlooms, especially cherry or grape varieties, but any size can be used.)
- Olive oil (This is the preferred oil on a Mediterranean diet.)
- Balsamic vinegar (This is the special ingredient that brings out the natural sweetness of the fruit.)
- Fresh basil leaves (Do not use dried basil for this salad. If you can’t find fresh herbs, simply leave them out.)
Read more: Top 10 potato salad with bacon and egg
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
If you don’t have this dark vinegar originally from Italy, you may be tempted to use a different acid instead. But I recommend you stick with balsamic.
It’s intense in flavor since it’s made from the whole grape, including the skin and seeds. It’s sweet rather than acidic and pairs well with fruit.
As you can imagine, this recipe is really easy to prepare.
- Cube the watermelon and place it in a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes. For small cherry or grape varieties, you can half or quarter them. For larger tomatoes, roughly chop them.
- Pour the simple dressing over the fruit.
- Tear or chop the basil, add it to the bowl, and toss everything before serving.
- Watermelon Tomato Salad tastes best served immediately or shortly after preparing.
- If you have leftovers, cover and refrigerate them until the next day.
- Tear the basil or use herb scissors just before adding to the dish to avoid bruising and discoloration.
- If using a mini watermelon, you will only need half of it to make 2 servings of this recipe as written. Or use the whole melon to make at least 4 servings. If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card it will adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
Read more: how to make mexican chicken salad
While I recommend sticking with the basic ingredients (watermelon, tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar,) there are many ways to customize this recipe. Here are some of my favorite additions:
- Sweet onions
- Tofu feta
- Other fresh herbs such as mint, cilantro, or tarragon
More watermelon recipes
If you have leftover melon after making this recipe, try one of these summer favorites:
- Watermelon Blueberry Salad is a festive fruit salad perfectly flavored with a touch of fresh mint and lime.
- Sparkling Agua Fresca is refined sugar-free and deliciously refreshing.
- Make it into a fruit cup with mango, pineapple, and Tajin chili lime seasoning.
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
More Vegan Salad Recipes
For more information please see the list of Watermelon tomato salad balsamic vinegar