Your family’s new favorite easy dessert! This 5-Ingredient Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is a no-bake treat that’s ready with just 10 minutes of prep. Bring on summer!
How to Make Ice Cream Sandwich Cake | 1-Minute Video
If you’re not much of a baker, then this is the dessert for you! It’s perfect for those of us who always seem to need a crowd-pleasing potluck dish to serve to family and friends, but we don’t always have time to whip up a homemade cake from scratch. With layers of store-bought ice cream sandwiches and whipped topping, you can assemble this no-bake easy ice cream cake in about 10 minutes. Mix up the flavors or add different toppings – once you know how to make ice cream sandwich cake, the options are endless!
- Ice cream sandwiches: you will need approximately 24 ice cream sandwiches for this 9 x 13-inch cake.
- Chocolate syrup and caramel syrup: add extra flavor to the ice cream cake, making it taste just like a sundae! I like Hershey’s brand chocolate syrup and this Smucker’s caramel syrup, but any similar varieties will work.
- Frozen whipped topping: such as Cool Whip. Just make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator before trying to spread it on the cake.
- Toppings of choice: I’ve shown mini M&M candies here, but you can add almost any toppings that you prefer. See the notes below for other suggestions.
How to Make Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Regular blog readers know that I’m a big fan of quick-prep, family-friendly recipes, so it’s no surprise that Stephanie sent me this idea via email a couple of weeks ago. One look at her instructions and I knew that it would be a winner in our house! After one taste, I knew that I better share it with all of you, too!
- Arrange 12 ice cream sandwiches in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch dish. As you can see from the photo below, you will need to cut the last ice cream sandwich in half in order to get it to fit in the pan. Trust me – this doesn’t have to be perfect (it will still taste amazing)!
- Allow the ice cream sandwiches to soften a bit, and then use the back of a spoon (or your fingers) to gently press them down a little bit.
- Top the ice cream sandwiches with a layer of whipped topping, drizzle with chocolate and caramel syrups, and sprinkle with toppings of choice (I used mini M&M’s here).
- Repeat the layers once more.
- Freeze the homemade ice cream sandwich cake for at least 1-2 hours, or until firm.
Read more: make a raw dessert with honey peanut cocoa
Wrapped tightly, this easy ice cream cake will keep in the freezer for up to 1 week. This simple no-bake dessert is so easy that you truly cannot mess it up!
- Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake: Use Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches for a combination of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice cream in your cake. You can garnish the cake with sliced fresh strawberries just before serving and sprinkle with chocolate chips. A drizzle of strawberry syrup would also be a good swap for the caramel.
- Magic Shell: instead of the chocolate syrup, drizzle the top of the cake with Magic Shell topping.
- Birthday Cake Ice Cream Sandwich Cake: put a birthday spin on this fun dessert! You can purchase Blue Bunny Birthday Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches at many grocery stores and Super Target stores. Use rainbow sprinkles as a fun topping, too.
- Toppings: I used mini M&M’s (which are a favorite at my house), but Stephanie also suggested coarsely crushed Oreos, Heath toffee bits, chocolate chips, crushed waffle cones, chopped peanuts, Reese’s pieces or Reese’s peanut butter cups.
- Sprinkles: Garnish with different colored sprinkles to match the upcoming holidays. For instance, one reader suggested using red, white and blue sprinkles for Memorial Day or July 4th!
Tips for the Best Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Thaw the whipped topping in the refrigerator overnight before you plan to assemble the cake. Do not thaw the whipped topping on the counter at room temperature, or the texture will be runny.
- Allow the ice cream sandwiches to soften slightly so that you can gently press them down as you’re creating the layers. This will help them fit in the pan!
- Prepare the cake at least 1-2 hours in advance of when you plan to serve it. The cake needs adequate time to firm up in the freezer again before you slice into it.
More Easy Dessert Recipes to Try
- Oreo Poke Cake
- Quick and Easy Banana Pudding (no-bake!)
- Lemon Bundt Cake (starts with a box of cake mix!)
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches (no-bake!)
- Old-Fashioned Icebox Cake
- Bisquick Peach Cobbler
This post was originally published in June, 2018. The text was updated in April, 2021.
Read more: how to make dessert cream cheese