Vegetarian lettuce wraps with less than 200 calories for a HUGE serving. This lettuce wraps recipe is easy, healthy and WAY better than the PF Chang’s original! They’re vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and low carb.
When a P.F. Chang’s opened in my hometown of Wichita, Kansas, it was A Big Deal. New restaurants always generate a buzz, especially chains associated with larger cities. P.F. Chang’s was no exception. The two-hour wait lasted for months, and when my family finally scored a table, our server insisted that we order the lettuce wraps. She was SO RIGHT.
I still remember their sweet crunch and addictive taste. PF Chang’s serves up delicious Asian dishes, so copycat PF Chang’s recipes can be found all over the interwebs. (This PF Chang’s Mongolian Beef looks amazing).
Today’s Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps recipe is a copycat version of the illustrious P.F. Chang’s original.
They’re easy, healthy, and so much of a dead ringer for the real deal that they’ve become one of my most popular recipes!
The Best Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
Although I typically begin my recipe posts by describing the dish, this time, I thought I’d share a few excerpts from the comments section. I can’t even tell you how happy these make me to read (and reread). Thank you.❤️
- Oh my lanta. I don’t often leave feedback on recipes I found online, but I have to tell you how impressed I am by these lettuce wraps. The appetizer was always my fav at P.F. and since going meatless a couple years ago, I pretty much resigned to the fact that I’d never enjoy them again. I made them tonight and… Wow. Just wow. Delicious. The consistency and flavor were spot on.
- These are fabulous! I make them when I want to do something special for friends and family. Feels like eating at PF Changs!
- This recipe is delicious and so easy. Made this for dinner tonight, and it was an instant hit with the whole family!
- Just made these last night with my 10 year old daughter who is a well known hater of mushrooms and onions and she could not stop raving about this meal. She said, “Mom, it’s like a party in your mouth!”
- I’ve never cooked with tofu until I made this recipe. Wow! The flavors and textures were spot on to the originals. Delicious. Even though it made a large amount my husband and I devoured almost all of it in one sitting!
- I just made these tonight, and they are AMAZING!!! I eat tofu all the time, but even my husband who’s not really a fan of it enjoyed these!
- Absolutely DEELISH. Better than P F Changs!
And so many more!
About These Healthy Lettuce Wraps
As you likely pieced together from the comments, these Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps are made with tofu and mushrooms, two ingredients that often unnerve more hesitant eaters.
As those who have tried this lettuce wrap recipe can attest, however, you hardly notice them! Both ingredients are finely diced, and by the time the tofu and mushrooms have simmered in that signature, addictive P.F. Chang’s sauce, all you’ll taste is the flavors of the original.
If you are still feeling unsure about the tofu, please slow down and carefully consider this next sentence. My inspiration for these tofu lettuce wraps came from The Pioneer Woman.
Yes, it was the Food Network queen of the cattle ranch herself who prompted me to use tofu for the vegetarian lettuce wrap filling. If tofu vegetarian lettuce wraps are approved in the home of a cattle rancher, they will be in yours too! (And if you’re still REALLY unsure, check out the chicken version of these Asian Lettuce Wraps or my Asian Chicken Wraps!)
The Pioneer Woman put a southwest spin on her tofu lettuce wraps by adding corn and chili powder (which I may try at some point), but today’s recipe is all about harnessing the flavors and ingredients that give P.F. Chang’s famous lettuce wraps the cult following they enjoy, but in a light and healthy way you can enjoy any night of the week.
Bonus: this healthy lettuce wraps recipe is ready in 25 minutes. So long, two-hour wait!
Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps Leftover Tips
- Any leftover filling keeps well in the refrigerator for several days. I recommend rewarming the leftovers in a skillet over medium heat—they’ll taste as fresh as if you had just made the recipe.
- In addition to serving my vegetarian copycat P.F. Chang’s filling as a lettuce wrap, I also like to mix the extra portions with brown rice or scramble them with eggs for quick, healthy lunches throughout the week.
More Delicious Healthy Asian Recipes with Tofu
- General Tso’s Tofu
- Honey Lime Tofu Stir Fry
- Mapo Dofu (Chinese Spicy Pork with Tofu)
- Korean Braised Tofu
- Kung Pao Tofu
Recommended Tools to Make Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
- Nonstick pan (a seasoned cast iron skillet works well also)
- Heatproof spatula
And for posterity, here is one of the original photos from when I first posted the recipe: